We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Eaga ShowerSmart

Options
Haarlem
Haarlem Posts: 345 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 27 September 2010 at 7:16PM in Energy
Out of the blue I have received one of the above "courtesy my energy supplier and a government initiative"

1. Do they work - it claims £20 saving on gas and £20 saving on water per annum.

2. Is sending them out like the energy saving lamp fiascoe, just anexcercise to satisfy energy saving targets for companies?

3, As far as I am concerned it appears to be a waste of government money, as they are not suitable for electric showers which I have. Why don't they check before sending them out?

Comments

• laurence_2
    Options
    I got one as well and I have a power shower.

I live in Scotland and can use as much water as I like as I am not on a meter and am charged over £400 per year for my water and sewage.
    :jstill retired and loving it:j
  • dannymccann
    Options
    They cant be used with leccy showers and I have been told by a plumber they knacker showers powered by combi boilers and the like as well...
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All they do is reduce the amount of water coming out of the shower head.

Essentially the same as turning the tap down a bit.

Of course, those who enjoy the invigorating experience of a high power shower won't like it. But not sure how it would cause damage to those with a combi boiler :huh: If that were the case, then is damage being caused whenever the shower is not on full whack ???
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    laurence wrote: »
    I got one as well and I have a power shower.

I live in Scotland and can use as much water as I like as I am not on a meter and am charged over £400 per year for my water and sewage.
    Remember, it's not just the amount of water you would save by reducing the throughput, but the cost of heating that water ;)

Of course, fitting one of these to a power shower would defeat the object. Just take away the electrically powered pump and save ;)

(if you can stand the idea of a gentle trickle instead of a powerful shower)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • laurence_2
    Options
    Remember, it's not just the amount of water you would save by reducing the throughput, but the cost of heating that water ;)

The shower is thermostatically controlled anyway so I can turn it down and the temperature stays the same.

It is a lot better than the electric shower I had in a previous house.
    :jstill retired and loving it:j
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Haarlem wrote: »
    3, As far as I am concerned it appears to be a waste of government money, as they are not suitable for electric showers which I have. Why don't they check before sending them out?

These things probably cost tuppence-ha'penny to make when bought by the containerload from China. It would cost much more to check before sending out whether they were suitable.

Anyway, the point to them is that Something Must Be Done, and the government's way of demonstrating that Something is being Done is to spend money.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Haarlem
    Options
    These things probably cost tuppence-ha'penny to make when bought by the containerload from China. It would cost much more to check before sending out whether they were suitable.

Anyway, the point to them is that Something Must Be Done, and the government's way of demonstrating that Something is being Done is to spend money.

Add to the "tuppence-ha'penny" the admin costs in setting it all up, administrating the despatch, postal costs etc and your up to a few pounds multiplied by x million sent out. I am sure Ega are laughing all the way to the bank, and I am now on their database.

I assume this initiatve came from the previous government.

Let's hope the new govenment do somthing that is much more effective.
  • thistledome
    Options
    I had a postcard from them before the actual thing arrived which said "thanks for ordering the shower smart" (which I hadn't). Then it went on to say the shower smart would be arriving shortly and if I didn't want it I could phone them up and tell them. I did phone the number but it wasn't answered then I forgot all about it until the thing came. We've also got an electric shower so I just chucked it away unopened.

I hope this isn't public money being wasted? I never even thought about it until I saw this thread.
    Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled. Do not trouble their joy, don't harrass them, don't deprive them of their happiness.
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 September 2010 at 9:48AM
    Options
    Many of the water companies seem to be offering these, apparently in conjunction with Eon.
    (at leats that's the supplier with 3 different water companies I know giving these out)

Their unit is much smaller, but does the same thing.
    http://www.savewatersavemoney.com/
    Actually 16 water companies offer them :eek:
    You don't have to be a customer of them, hence why I appear to already have 3 ... and we thought we were lucky having 2 showers in our house.

It's not public money. It's money the supplier/sponsor has to spend to save the planet.

Like the energy saving lightbulb fiasco, as long as they spend the money making products that will sit in the bottom of peoples drawers or otherwise go to landfill, they must be saving the planet!
    Targets ... how did we ever get by without them?
  • Haarlem
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    It's not public money. It's money the supplier/sponsor has to spend to save the planet.QUOTE]

Its actually from a levy on all our energy bills that the government instructs energy companies to impose. To me it is a tax by another name imposed on my purchase of energy being used to fund products I have no use for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport