Help needed about unfair electric bills!

Options
Hi,

My girlfriend and I moved in our apartment about a year ago.

We have been left with a huge deficit of £800 just for electricity!

We were recommended to keep our immersion heater on 24/7 by our landlord management teams. this was put in writing by them. they suggested that it would be cheaper to leave it on, than it would be to have it on a timer as they are economy scale 10 boilers. we took there advice and left them on 24/7t

We registered with our electric company who said they would send us bills every 1/4.

9 months later we received a phone call saying that we were urgently in debt by £800, due to the fact that the boiler had been on 24/7.

What made matters worse was that we only revived one bill from the electric company out of three that were supposed to be sent. the bill we received was only a predicted estimate and not an accurate argument, so after 3 months we thought that we were keeping on track with the bills.

I phoned up the electric company and made the point that if we had received the bills accurately and on time then we would have been pro active by changing them to a timer setting.

the last bill took then 2 and 1/2 months to send out due a back log according to them.

Is there any thing we can do either about the advice we received or the electric company?

Any help and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 September 2010 at 9:18PM
    Options
    You have the meters in your flat. It is up to you to check whether how much you are using is how much you want to spend. It doesn't take 2 and 1/2 minutes to read your meter and approximate the cost. Whenever one moves to a new place it is important to monitor things until you get a feel of what various patterns cost in the new environment.

Hmm, never mind, already discussed in the other thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure