debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
vanguard shares index isa £1000
credit union £400
emergency fund£500
#81 save 2018£4200

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just testing are Black, you know to see if it works.
    Sweating here, though did put my electric throw on last evening.
    Might put the main heating on about Christmas. LOL,
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    Dont forget to monitor your usage as the months go your heating use will go up and by March time or there abouts you have a large bill, so make sure you put money aside for when that time comes I pay £48 a month for gas which is for cooking and ch
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They've put mine up to £70 a month and there's only 2 of us now.
    :eek:

It's tempting to use it willy-nilly, but best to just put a jumper on for everyday, then have the heating on for a special treat now and then :)
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think mine might go up soon after last Winter I am only just getting into credit so have little reserves for Winter
  • dannymccann
    Options
    Ours has been on properly today, been on for 3 hours, 7am -8am then around 1 and will be going on in an hour or so to boost. Living room dial is only on 19 though and its 6 month old house so it takes about 10 minutes to get too hot for me, OH loves it though :eek:
  • Poosmate
    Poosmate Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Options
    I sometimes wish I had central heating but I would be scared as I'd be heating (minimally) the whole house rather than just the couple of rooms I use most.

A word of warning regarding resisting putting on the heating;

A couple of years ago I decided to save money by dressing up rather than putting the gas fire on. It has to be one of the worst winters of my life! I even contemplated moving out of my home and renting a room just so I'd be warm for a while! I think I managed to get to end of November before putting the gas fire on occasionally and till mid-late December before it went on from when I got home from work till when I went to bed. Then by end of January I had to leave it on 24/7. When I was getting home from work my lounge was at 13.5 degrees, kitchen 9.5, bathroom 5.5 and bedroom 9.5 - these figures rose to 17.5, 11.5, 7.5 and 11.5 respectively after the gas fire had been on for a couple of hours. I believe I went too far in my quest to save money and allowed the very bones of the house to get too cold and the bricks n mortar just leached what heat was being put out when the fire was on and lost it again when the fire was off. It was only when the fire was on 24/7 that the whole house started to retain some of the heat being put out. In the end I had to buy a couple of oil filled radiators to help. I'm so glad this happened in the winter it did - I think I'd have died of hypothermia if I'd tried that stunt last year!

The moral of this story is that whilst you can add layers of clothes to keep yourself warm, your house can't and if your house gets too cold it can take forever to get it warm again. Don't be afraid to heat your house, if need be cut back on something else - a 30p packet of crisps a day will cost you over £109 per year - crisps or heat?

Hope that helps put things into perspective a little.

Poo
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    That's actually quite a good point Poosmate. What do people find more effective when it comes to heating/cost, temp on low for longer, or a shorter period but the temp turned up more?

We moved from a 1 bed flat to a 3 bed house last year and I tried to heat only the parts of the house we used as much as possible by turning down/off thermostat radiators in rooms we don't use and closing the doors to those rooms. Had to keep it on in the downstairs toilet though - next to the front door and with a stone tiled floor....brrrrrr!
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Poosmate wrote: »
    I believe I went too far in my quest to save money and allowed the very bones of the house to get too cold and the bricks n mortar just leached what heat was being put out when the fire was on and lost it again when the fire was off.

Good observation - and one that I have seen in my Mum's old Victorian property. Keep it lightly heated throughout the winter and it's a comfortable house to be in - let it get cold and it becomes an oppressive drafty old building that won't warm up easily.

Not so bad with modern builds with their layers of insulation, but for those that live in brick built dwellings, letting the fabric of the building become that cold really isn't going to allow for a comfortable Winter.

I'm all for saving money, but I want to be in a comfortable environment in the evenings at home having slogged my guts out in work all day, not walking around looking like the Mitchellin man with icicles hanging off my eyebrows.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    I was determined to make it to October but had to put ours on this morning :(
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last year in bed my nose was so cold I felt like crying with the pain of it :o

I'm just splashing out on a new window for the bedroom next week as I don't want anothewr winter like last year. We've changed some windows and added a porch last year which was brilliant. But we can't afford to replace all the windows in one go so do them one at a time.
    They are all double glazed but are quite old so need doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure