PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Craftyscholar
    Options
    i have just made my chritmas cake
    Oh, is it that time already?:eek:
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    Hello there, hope you have all had good weekends. I have :D.

Managed to get all my week's shop for less than £8, so I am still on track to make it in under target. I have become like the little engine that could, going "I think I can, I think I can!"

Made cottage pie for me and Boyfriend's dinner Saturday night, I was a bit dubious because I had made the mash in advance and stuck it in the fridge, only when I came to use it it had sort of dried up a bit and gone into clumps. Then it didn't magically regenerate itself once it heated up like things often do. However, it was still very tasty, and I think being slightly drier may have actually helped to avoid that horrible sloppy watery bit where the mash meets the mince.

We also had it with white wine, which was nice wine but didn't go at all, as that was what I had in the house and while shopping I flat out refused to buy any red wine because I already had wine in :rotfl:.
  • Shysarah
    Shysarah Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh went into Aldi today and spent a bit more than i should have done. Haven't been in there in years so went a bit mad. Total was £15.97 (thats minus the gift wrap i got). Got some carrots which are already a cooling big bowl of soup in the kitchen, coffee, rice cakes, naughty stollen, ice cream, butternut squash, sugar snap peas and some snacks. Oh and some mince beef and chorizo.

Can you freeze chorizo? I got a big piece but was thinking maybe i could chop it up and portion freeze it for when i fancy it...

Off to update sig xx
    GC 2011
    Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    :A Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon) :A

• cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have been wondering how to update my figures as my fiance decided to cook for me so he did the shopping and I picked up a couple of things but my mother aid for them. Going to declare zero spend but reduce my target by £20. So glad fiance got some chocolate as heating broken down so no hot water nor heat.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • savvyshe
    savvyshe Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just added receipts and am surprised ,£74.04 that brings my October amount so far to £119.84 :jI am really chuffed as I thought I was being a bit unrealistic with the changes at chez savvy, just shows what you can do. Have been shopping out of the freezer and storecupboard this month and only buying what was necessary/on offer/and whoopsied/ saying that, the freezer and cupboards are still quite full. Think i've finally got the hang of this grocery challange:rotfl:shouldn't need to buy anything else maybe milk,(famous last words) so will report again on the 22nd with Octobers total, keep on plodding everyone and keep up the good work.:)
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Shysarah wrote: »
    Can you freeze chorizo? I got a big piece but was thinking maybe i could chop it up and portion freeze it for when i fancy it...
    I was told in the last week or so that you can :)
    Cheryl
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    I always freeze chorizo, just as you say, cut it into chunks.
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    C**p £9.52 on chutney making bits, veg and bits for yule hampers. Off to start boiling vinegar. Hope everyone has a good Monday:).
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2010 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Hey everyone, I've not done one of these for maybe the last year, but I know that we're spending too much (used to be £160 a month) and I'm not as organised as I used to be with meal planning, so I'm going to join in for the rest of October. £100 for the rest of the month. (Just me and the OH in the house, no pets or kids)

Not sure how good my storecupboard is, so we'll soon find out. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks. :beer:
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Hi Just updated signature by £100.16 which is food for this week as were off to Devon later today. Keep positive everyone.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport