Waiving the cooling off period?

Options
I'm just transferring my gas and electricity (for the umpteenth time - I have no loyalty to any company except the cheapest) and it has occurred to me that this statutory 14 day cooling off period is a royal pain in the bum to an energy supplier tart such as me.

Is there any way that one can waive this period if the confirmation letter is received and accepted?

I just called E.ON (for 'tis they) and they said that because it's the law, it cannot be waived. This sounds silly to me, but is there a way to get around the 14 period that takes less than 14 days?

Cheers ears
G

Comments

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think you can as there has to be checks and balances to make sure you are really wanting to switch suppliers.

As you are no doubt aware people have been switched without their consent.
  • madkingsoup
    Options
    I am indeed aware, but the checks and balances are there for my benefit and I should be able to say "Yes, my good new energy supplier; I chose this path and did so with a full understanding of what I was doing, therefore please proceed post haste with the transfer so that I don't have to continue paying a higher price for one second longer than I need to."

Unless it's not actually a right to cancel, but instead a mandatory 2 week insertion into the process.

If it's a right, I should be able to waive it, as with any right. If it's a mandatory part of the process, so be it - I'm just wondering what it actually is...
  • Fairzo
    Fairzo Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To put the other side of the argument I was going to switch to Eon and had no intention, when I applied, of changing my mind. If there had been an option to waive the cooling off period I would probably have taken it. However, over those 14 days I gradually came to the conclusion that the Eon deal was not as suitable as an alternative, so cancelled.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes you can waive it, but you need to specifically request the supplier to do this. As Fairzo says, do your maths first.
    I imagine not all staff will have the ability to do it however.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi madkingsoup,

Sorry for the late reply :o

As you know, the main reason for the 14 day cooling off period is to give the customer the opportunity to cancel the switch.

This is also the time that the customer would receive the details of the switch through the post and check these are correct.

Also, if a switch has been processed erroneously it can be cancelled easily at this point.

There may be a time when the cooling off period can be waived, but this is rare and there would need to be a valid reason for doing this.

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure