Electric / Gas in block of flats

Options
I have recently bought a new build property in a block of flats. When I moved in I was told that the supplier of both gas and electric was Eon.

Do I have to stay with Eon or can I pick any supplier I want. I have no idea how gas and electric suppliers work and wondered if I had to stick with Eon if they supply the electric and gas to the whole block.

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You can but your electricity & gas from any supplier you choose. Irrespective of what others in the block are doing.

Eon are good suppliers though IMO. Just make sure you choose a tariff that suits, do not stay on a "standard tariff" no matter which supplier you go to.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't worry too much how the gas & electric industry actually work.

All you need to understand is it will be exactly the same electricity/gas coming through excatly the same wires/pipes. All that changes (from a customers point of view) is that the bills come from a different company, one which will hopefully result in cheaper prices.

Read the MSE article on comparing & switching gas & electricity suppliers
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity?dd
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi clairecymru,

So sorry for such a late reply :o

You can move to any energy company that you prefer, all you need to do is to approach the company you wish to change to and they will get things moving.

However, you must inform E.ON that you have moved in to this property as they will be billing you for now, you will need to provide the meter readings from the day you moved in.

I would also check out the tariffs, even if you do decide to change supplier its good to get the best price you can for now :D

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure