Who owns the gas supply pipes?

Options
Scottish Hydro came knocking at my door last night. He claimed they own the gas pipes supplying my home and that I should have had a reduction in the spring - I did actually and told him that. He then wanted to complete a questionnaire; which I refused because I was busy but he then gave the impression that he will return. Can anyone give me some facts to refute his claim - I would expect the gas people to own gas pipes!

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh dear they are at that lie again, they do not own the pipes dependant on where you are in the country they are owned by one of the following National Grid, Northern Gas Networks, Scotland Gas Networks or Southern Gas Networks - there are smaller private companies that own some pipes but Socttish Hydro is NOT one of these so basically he is lying call Scottish Hydro and report him,
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • freddi_2
    Options
    Ha Ha Ha.

One of them tried that on me with my electricity meter.

I wasted his time by asking questions then saying wait till I consult the internet then asking what his tariffs were etc. In the end when I told him that I had no intention of changing to HE as I was on a fixed tariff which was cheaper than HE anyway he moaned at me for wasting his time. I said it works two ways you've just wasted my time !!!! off!
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    I believe Ofgem were wanting to hear about instances of mis-selling, not sure when its on till thought.

Another frequent similar lie is we own X power station, so we can do it cheaper.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Gman0365
    Options
    The parent company of Scottish Hydro (Scottish and Southern Energy) own half of Scotia Gas Networks, which in turn is a holding company for Scotland Gas Networks and Southern Gas Networks. These companies ARE gas transporters and do own the pipes in the ground so dependent upon where you live (Scotland or South of England) he is telling a partial truth.

Scottish and Southern Energy also own several independent gas networks throughout the country.

That said, the companies that own and operate the gas networks are regulated by OFGEM. This regulation means that the gas transporters remain completely independent from the gas suppliers. So although Scottish and Southern Energy may have a share in the transporter, none of their subsidiary companies (Scottish Hydro, Southern Electric) can claim that through this they are able to offer cheaper prices.

Hope this helps.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 September 2010 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Ron_Hobson wrote: »
    ...Can anyone give me some facts to refute his claim - I would expect the gas people to own gas pipes!

No idea who owns your supply pipes and it doesn't really matter in this instanmce, but in regards to cost of supply to you, do a check on any comparison site as to the best deal for you.

That will give you all the facts you need, and you should invite the sales person in to show them the details. I doubt they will accept your offer because (a) they will know immediately they are dealing with someone that can see beyond the lies they will happily tell in order to secure a sale and (b) a salesman's time is spent more profitably pursuading the uninformed to part with their lolly, than trying to defend the indefensible.

Of course, if Scottish Hydro do by some odd quirk of circumstances happen to be the supplier to give you the best deal, still don't sign up via a salesperson, use the cashback or comparison sites to bag yourself a bit of commission for yourself; better in your pocket than in the salesman's.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    It's yet another one of those many sales agents tricks!

Your local distributor owns the groundwork in elec & gas. Whilst some of the companies are owned in the same groups, they have to trade as seperate parties anyway so Suppliers can compete.

Usually it's Transco but there are some Independant Gas Transporters (IGT's) out there.

If the M number (MPRN) shown on your gas bill is 10 digits long and begins with 74 or 75 then you are supplied by an Independent Gas Transporter. Otherwise it's Transco now National Grid.

Look on here.

http://www.energylinx.co.uk/independent_gas_transporters.htm
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No point in reporting it to OFGEM. They are just a wasteful,obstructive Government Quango staffed by overpaid Executives,many of whom couldnt find their own backsides in a dark room.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    No point in reporting it to OFGEM. They are just a wasteful,obstructive Government Quango staffed by overpaid Executives,many of whom couldnt find their own backsides in a dark room.

Very true, but then they could probably easily find the big 6's bottom's much easier since they spend more time doing that!!! (tongues of course, not boots!) :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • wolvotim
    Options
    yeah i had an n-power rep telling me that they owned the electrcity network in the midlands lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure