Scottish Power Rant! :(

Options
[FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]Hi all,[/FONT]

I need help in understanding a family member's gas & electricity situation.

A few years back myself & my partner became unpaid carer's for 2 family members, So back in January 2010* we took over control on their personal affairs.
A month before this, A Scottish power sale's agent came and offered one of the above, A deal that she thought was unbeatable.

She was offered low rates & the cheapest pay back on a small debt she had on her electric key meter. (Debt at the time was around £350)
Everything was fine for 6 months, Until June this year.

She received a letter from Scottish power - Asking her why she never informed them that she is running a small business..?
I simply explained that still isn't the case, She has a home which everything runs off electricity other then 2 things, Heating & hot water.

3 weeks after making that telephone call we had a letter saying that it was a computer error.

However, Since this time, The weekly outgoing of £20 has risen to over £65. And the gas has also risen from £15 a week to £ 40!!
(Both was a package deal from Scottish power! Hence why both has changed!)

economy 7 timings are more expensive also!

I have contacted them again, This is the 15 time since they upped the rates, To notify the changes, But today they have informed me i will have to pay £285 to "get out of the 2 year contract."!

My question is, To anyone who is on benefits with a prepay meter, Who is the best provider to go with. I have been on compare websites, but i am more confused now then ever!
Future goals:
Become debt free.
Beat Depression.
Be happy & healthy

Comments

• dalek
    dalek Posts: 9,386 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know - i hope someone can help you. I've gone down route below, to prevent having Pre- Pay Meters.

Fuel Direct - An alternative to Pre-Pay Meters for those on benefits

It took several weeks to get set up, but it finally got sorted.

I'm glad i wont be having expensive and inconvenient pre-pay meters now.

Pre-Pay Meters obviously rely on your ability to get out and get to the shop with cash to then top them up manually.

I had debts with my energy companies - but now money to cover this & my predicted future use is Deducted from my benefit before i receive it.

Yes, i receive less money every fortnight but the energy companies are happy and so am i.

Contact your supplier and tell them if you want to go on it.

Fuel Direct

If you've got unpaid bills from a fuel or water supplier, and you receive Income Support, Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, you can ask your benefits office to pay the supplier directly out of your benefit. This system is called Fuel Direct. It covers your current fuel use and also pays off a certain amount of your unpaid bill each week.

If you use Fuel Direct, check your meter reading and tell your benefit office - this will help make sure your supplier's got it right.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rs/DG_10025592
    The Daleks Reign Supreme, All Hail The Daleks!
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 September 2010 at 1:27PM
    Options
    [FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]...[/FONT]My question is, To anyone who is on benefits with a prepay meter, Who is the best provider to go with. I have been on compare websites, but i am more confused now then ever!
    In what way do you struggle to understand?
    Obtain the anticipated annual usage data either from previous statements or by calling your supplier. Put those details into the comparison website along with your postcode and, hey presto, a list of suppliers and tariffs is displayed usually cheapest first.
    (All you have to check is that the chepest option is actually cheaper than the current tariff you are on as that is admitedly sometimes a bit confusing)

If that really is too difficult, many comparison sites also offer a phone line service where you can speak to someone who will do the input and tell you the output over the phone.

Edit: What I do find confusing from your post is that you say it is a residential supply (and any previous qusery about it not was an error by SP) but then say you are tied into a 2 year deal? :huh:
    No residential tariff has a tie in that long, especially for those on a PPM.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • PRINCESSX87
    Options
    Thank you both for your comment's,

"Edit: What I do find confusing from your post is that you say it is a residential supply (and any previous qusery about it not was an error by SP) but then say you are tied into a 2 year deal? :huh:
    No residential tariff has a tie in that long, especially for those on a PPM. "

I have no idea as to why they are saying its a 2 yr contract, I'm looking at the copy of paper work she was provided with apon signing, But i cant see she has agreed to this...????
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Princessx87

I'm sorry to hear about all the confusion you are having. If you know how your Prepayment meters work then have a look at the total debt and the debt recovery rate they are both set at. If you are unsure how to obtain this information then give us a call and we will provide you with step by step instructions.

There are a few grey areas based on the information that you have posted. Like Premier has mentioned, we do not offer a 2 year contract for domestic prepayment customers. It is possible that we have set the meter to recover an outstanding balance and that it will be cleared over 2 years. If you wanted to change supplier straight away then you may need to clear the outstanding balance in full (possible reason for being asked to pay £285).

I do not understand your comments regarding it being the 15th time we have upped your rates. There has certainly not been 15 price increases lately and your debt recovery rate should be kept at an agreed amount unless you ask for it to be changed.

I will be happy to investigate this account for you if you wish or I would recommend contacting our customer service team to get all the answers you are looking for (contact details found in the link below):

http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/your-home/existing-customer/home.aspx

If you have any further questions please let me know and I will be more than happy to help.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure