New Gas supply into 2nd floor flat - help

Options
Hi

Hopefully someone here could point me in the right direction and help me understand the process and costs involved!

I'm trying to get a gas cooker installed into my parent's flat on the second floor of a block of flats ran by a housing association. From what I could see, there's existing pipework into the flat suggesting at some point there has been a gas supply, but there is no meter. There is what I think is called the Emergency Control Value ( a handle to turn on/off at 90 degrees?). There's also the little pipe for connection to the hose of the gas cooker.

This is my understanding of what's involved:

- contact the National Grid to obtain a Meter Point Reference Number and see if there is a 'live' supply
- once the MPRN has been obtained, then we could appoint a gas supplier of our choice to install a meter and activate a supply

However, I have been advised there is no MPRN at that address, so will have to apply for the pipework to be done by National Grid, which I understand is very costly (dependant on whether the meter is at ground level or to 2nd fl flat).

What I'm confused about is why do they need to do any further pipework as there seems to already have pipework into the flat, except there is no meter!

Could anyone shed any light, or have had a similar experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 September 2010 at 11:21AM
    Options
    If there is no current live supply, the existing pipework may not be suitable anymore. Simply turning on the gas with unsafe pipework would ... well I'm sure you can guess.

Depending on the exact circumstances, a common solution is to put a plastic lining inside existing metal supply pipes to ensure they are safe before connecting a gas supply.

I think you will probably have to have the installation within your property checked and verified too before they will agree to reconnect a gas supply.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long has the property not used gas for? dependant on this it will be a case of either a live or dead check initially if only couple years if longer it would be a new supply that will need to be installed .
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • OnlyMe_08
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think what I'll have to do is speak with the housing association to establish when gas was last used at the property. Exisiting pipework, but not meter, suggests a supply of gas has in the past been supplied.

I'm sure the person I spoke with at National Grid said the supply was 'dead'.

Assuming gas has been supplied within the last 5 years, and I want to reinstate that, what are my next steps?
  • nick49
    nick49 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

as far as i know if the house doesnt have an MPRN then national grid can't say 100% that its dead unless they have already been out to do a live or dead test recently. if it does have an MPRN then there would be a note against it saying dead.

Ask national grid to come out and do a live/dead test and see what they say hopefully its live, then you can go to a supplier to create you an MPRN and fit you a meter
  • OnlyMe_08
    Options
    Thanks Nick

So if there's no MPRN, then they cannot say whether it's live / dead - will it cost anything for them to come out to inspect?

As an alternative, if I went for an electric cooker;

1. Will running costs be more expensive than gas?
    2. Will I need to get anyone out to install, or is it just a mmater of plugging in to the kitchen's designated cooker electrical point?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OnlyMe_08 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm trying to get a gas cooker installed into my parent's flat on the second floor of a block of flats ran by a housing association.

Talk to the housing association first.

Best case scenario, they will put the whole thing in, up to the wall socket, and you just have to plug the cooker in.

Worst case scenario, they did a cost/benefit analysis,
    and no flat gets gas for safety and maintenance cost considerations.
  • lemontart
    Options
    If there is no meter in the property and if was removed some time ago then the National Grid will not hold details of the mprn as it is only detailed with the the gas is live and in use and that information is supplier by the gas supplier when they register the fact that they are the supplier to the property.

The only way the pipe can be confirmed as live or dead is by a visit from and engineer from the gas network for your area beit National Grid or another Network who will then provide a Job reference number that you give to your supplier of choice when reqistering with them and they will then arrange for a meter to be installed. The gas supplier will then arrange for a new MPRN number to be issued (national grid do not issue MPRN numbers this is done by a company called Xoserve who the gas supplier will contact to arrange for a new one with)
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • lemontart
    Options
    OnlyMe_08 wrote: »
    Thanks Nick

So if there's no MPRN, then they cannot say whether it's live / dead - will it cost anything for them to come out to inspect?

QUOTE]

Just because the there is no MPRN does not mean it is dead - the only way to check is to have an engineer call from the appropiate gas Network
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure