Scottish Power again

Options
i've been with Scottish Power for about 2-3 years with an online tariff but not locked in.

I did a comparison a couple of months ago on uswitch and Eon came up cheaper by about £300 pa :eek:

Everything was about to change and then SP rang me yesterday. They said they guarantee to beat my Eon quote by 7% and also to reduce by a further 2% to match British Gas (who they said are cheapest for my area).

It sounded so good that I thought I had nothing to lose............ or do I? How can they have made the statement they would be cheaper if they don't know the tarrif i'd be on at Eon?

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi glitter123 - So Scot.Power have suddenly found a better deal when you talk of moving, however what you have got is a 'verbel' offer from the sales team which is not worth a lot unless you are recording your phone calls - paricularly when this tariff did not come up when you were visiting the Switch sites.
    Insist that they confirm the full details of the new tariff in writing or by Email before you say yes.

You've done the homework to get your annual consumption in Kw, so visit 'switchwithwhich'. This site operates like all the others, but has the added benifit that by using the Tarrif & Terms icons on each suppliers offering, it will show all the details of that tariff alongside the details of your present tariff
  • glitter123
    glitter123 Posts: 495 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2010 at 9:52AM
    Options
    Hi, yes they said would send me details in the post. I'll wait to see what they say.

In the meantime i'm going to check the comparison sites again. I'll have a look at the one you mention.
  • glitter123
    Options
    Grrrr they haven't offered me their best tariff and it looks as though I wont be better off.
  • glitter123
    Options
    Well after exhaustive calculations I have come to the conclusion that despite SP's insistence that I would be better off I have discovered that the tariff they have moved me to will cost an additional £200 pa even though they have another tarrif that would have made me (only) £40 pa worse off.

How on earth can they do this? Moral is don't believe anything you're told without checking for yourself.
  • toby11
    toby11 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Glitter,

Which Scottish Power tariff were you originally on, and to which tariff have they now moved you?
  • lucybel_2
    Options
    some companies have a tracker tariff that promises to be cheaper than another companies standard product - but they can't track against online tariffs and capped tariffs etc, most of the time when they quote you as well they won't include discounts such as online/direct debit. I would go from the switching sites!
  • glitter123
    Options
    toby11 wrote: »
    Hi Glitter,

Which Scottish Power tariff were you originally on, and to which tariff have they now moved you?

I was on PPlus DP , decided to switch to Eon Onlinesaver2. Scottish Power rang and said they could save me money (without asking which tarrif I was changing to) and offered me Price Tracker Oct 11, telling me that British Gas are cheapest in my area and they would uncut them by 2%. While they may be cheaper for a standard tariff BG didn't feature in any of the price comparisions I did. Price Tracker Oct 11 turns out to be £195 dearer than my eon deal pa. SP online saver 11 would have been £44 pa dearer but he didnt offer me that even though I am already an online customer.

They were very pleasant when I spoke to them this morning and said I wouldn't be staying. They were even able to confirm I was better off with Eon.
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    "yes they said would send me details in the post. I'll wait to see what they say."

Its fairly obvious waht's happened here. Firstly the tracker type of tariffs are usually based on other suppliers standard (most expensive) tariff. Therefore the guarantee is nowhere near as good as it sounds.

Also if they have said they will send details out in all probability they have processed a contract. You need to ensure this has been cancelled otherwise you wil end up with the other supplier for 28 days then going back to E.On.

I wish retentions people did tell the truth, somehow a tariff which tracks and beats other companies standard rate becomes we'll beat any supplier, which is a bit of a stratch. The most worrying thing of all is these guys often aren't trained in billing, so how the devil they can advise on tariff is beyond me.

All I can say in thier defence, like the door to door people, is that they are targetting to get LOTS of sales, so its really the companies that are to blame.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure