Gesture of goodwill

Options
Hello,

Is it possible to reclaim against a lender who offers a gesture of goodwill and you accept it not realising you could have got more with interest, etc and they are basically getting away with it.

Story behind that question is that about 18 months ago I accepted an offer from RBS of £750.

I now know that they offered everyone that so it wasnt actually a personal gesture to me. Not knowing back then I foolishly accepted it as I was struggling for money.

Would the FOS accept that I should have been awarded more and allow me to reclaim?

Andy

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    amonag68 wrote: »
    Hello,

Is it possible to reclaim against a lender who offers a gesture of goodwill and you accept it not realising you could have got more with interest, etc and they are basically getting away with it.

Story behind that question is that about 18 months ago I accepted an offer from RBS of £750.

I now know that they offered everyone that so it wasnt actually a personal gesture to me. Not knowing back then I foolishly accepted it as I was struggling for money.

Would the FOS accept that I should have been awarded more and allow me to reclaim?

Andy

Hi Andy

I am not sure where you would stand with this, but its a question maybe the FOS on the general query line should be able to confirm, so there is no harm in asking.
    Good luckl;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally, I wouldnt waste your time. They offered you a gesture of goodwill, you accepted it. full stop.

I think you can just see £ signs and its clouding your judgement.

They have done nothing wrong, a good will gesture is just that, they could have told you to jog on. Now that would have been a differeint matter
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    amonag68 wrote: »
    Hello,

Andy
    Hi there, if i were you i would write back to the company and say you were not happy with the redress they gave you and would they take another look at this again for you, do you know what ppi you have actually paid? as this will help your case, a lot of people accepted good will payments as they were not made aware of the fact that they were owed a lot more and the banks got away with this, you are more learned now and expect full redress or take it to fos.Give it a go you have nothing to lose.The banks make me sick with these "paltry offers" knowing that the public did not have a clue what was right or wrong, go for it and good luck xx
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    how much could you have claimed?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you accept an offer you normally accept that that the complaint is closed and you cannot go for it again.

The complaint final outcome has gone past 6 months. The FOS have no jurisdiction to comment on your complaint as its timebarred.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • amonag68
    Options
    Hi themull1

£1300 + interest + 8%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business