'The Levels of Well ' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Read Martin's "The Levels of Well " Blog.

Please click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• niclon26niclon26 Forumite
    404 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I am pregnant with my 5th child and whilst I definately Do not class pregnancy as an illness,I am finding my day to day level of wellness at the moment(I'm 26 weeks) tends to vary between 2. andd no 4. on Martins wellness scale.(most days I'd say are a 3)I have suffred with SPD since week 12,which makes walking difficult and extremely painful at times.The problem is if I rest too much it hurts and if I overdo it it hurts,I am constantly trying to find a happy medium.
    When I am not pregnant my health is generally very good,so I feel blessed that I am lucky and realised my pain will disappear when the baby arrives,yey.As they say there is light at the end of the tunnel.For now though it gives me the opportunity to enter lots of competitions through mse.(I have won 10 prizes/freebies since the end of August)
    Live each day as if it was you're last
  • ScarletBeaScarletBea Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think your scale is fab!!!!
    I'll use it next time I'm ill :)
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • minerva_windsongminerva_windsong Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liking the scale :)

I'm of the view that 'if you're well enough to get out of bed you're well enough to go to work', so would probably use 'bed well' as my threshold for whether or not to stay off (which is why I am the annoying person who goes to work with a cold).
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • RabbitMadRabbitMad Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think most women can work out just how ill a man is. Men have a built in indicator - warm it up and then check which position its at and hey presto you can tell how ill he really is.
  • Living in Scotland I'm trying to educate a friend from Yorkshire into
    the difference between...

1. being no awfy weel....
    and
    2. being awfy no weel..

State 1 can usuallly be fixed with a paracetamol and a lie-down.
    State 2 would require hospital treatment.
  • delaindelain Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to underestimate being ill, you do when you're a busy mum of 4. I got to not well at all last weekend. Then I fell over when I tried to walk. OH called the out of hours doctor, who promptly sent me to hospital where I then spent 2 days getting a 4 pint blood transfusion because of severe anaemia :o:o:o

Moral of the story, feel extra bad, go to the blimming doctor before you start looking like a walking corpse :eek: :eek:
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • sheeps68sheeps68 Forumite
    661 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I tend to work on the can I get to car in one go as my guidance. If I have to stop and not just go slow I go to work.
  • tgroom57tgroom57 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind a few 'off' moments as I'm getting ready, but if I am dressed, breakfasted and ready to leave and still haven't got the 'full-on green-for-go light' then that's my signal to stay home: whatever it is I'm incubating is probably better not shared. I used to go in with a cold, but then I never had flu.

I'm normally well, without any 'normal' aches and pains. Around this time of year I stock up on blackcurrant juice (don't know why) and cinnamon (fights flu) with either apples or mulled wine.
  • MobeerMobeer Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Academoney Grad Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't experienced "anti-bed well" yet then? It's when you are fine when mobile, but as soon as you stop moving the pain starts; nasty when you want to sleep, sit down at a desk, drive etc.
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does a bad back sit with this scale?
    I am able to get out of bed (just!) my back is killing me, but the more I move around, the better it is. I can get to the gym and after a few mins its like its not even there (as long as I don't do any twisting movements) However, sitting down on a chair for more then 20 mins and I am in agony again!

So! Fine to walk around, fine to keep moving, better to be active but hurts to be in a chair, in bed/getting out of bed and to generally rest. I think you need another point on your scale: "working makes me ill/worse!" :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News