Advice on Bills Please - 4 bed house / average family!!

Options
Hi all

I worked out on average over the year, I'm paying circa £120 for both utilities per month. currently paying more as I was behind for a bit.

We've had a quote for a new boiler, flushing out and generally fixing the system because its not efficient ( and probably not touched for a while! ) enough to run 17 radiators.

This quote was £2,200 which was below half of what BG and Swale, a local company, quoted 2 years ago! We might add a new bigger water tank to that too, around £680, because the one we have is old and possibly not big enough for the house which was extended to double its size years before we moved in.

Is this the right way to go to improving the bills each year? I expect a new boiler will make a difference, what about the water tank - will that mean it can hold more hot water so we're not switching the water heater on after just 1 bath?

Thanks for advice, really good if I can get some answers!

Louisa
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt

Author unknown

Comments

• Nebacaneza
    Options
    with a system that has seventeen radiators on it , im only presuming that it has quite a few hot water outlets and thats why you opting to keep your type of system. If you just change your boiler then you may only be saving small amounts because of the type of system that you have. and in the future you may need to change the cylinder. Im only presumiong but you only get enough hot water for one or two baths. there is a solution thats inexpensive and very high efficient for your hot water demand There is such a system called flowsmart from alpha heating innovation. have a look on you tube for the above and you will see that it can save you over 50% on gas consumption and still give you enough hot water for a number of baths and then some. even if you deplete the hot water reseerve you only have to wait a few minutes on the reheat. The quote that you had from BG is around what you could well end up paying for this type of system fully installed however. you would have an ultra efficient system that would pay for itself in saving inside of 5 years and it comes with a 5 year guarantee. its up to you what you want to pay and how quick you want to recover your investmen, but there is this to bare in mind. Later you can add a solar system straight into the setup that you already have thats called solarsmart check them out before you commit. i run the new boiler company in york dont no where you are but for large houses with average hot water demand thats the way to go. Local trades men can get 23 % off the prices that you see in places like plumbing trade supplies.BG just add on as your aware.so if you got a local tradesman thats alpha approved and you paid for the materials you could well have a bargain for a very effective heating and hot water system.

regards

nigel
  • loucroft
    Options
    Thanks Nigel.

Looking at the solar side of things, our house isn't south facing - the side of the house faces that way - and I have to be honest with those panels on the roof, I don't think it helps with cosmetics ha ha!

Valid points though, alpha sounds good. The only point I'd have is the price really, although we had a quote for a new water tank because we were told at some point the old ones give off toxic fumes if the places sets alight ( ooh dear ). The other reason for getting a quote for a new one is that it should hold more hot water than currently - hope this is right as I don't want to pay for it if it doesn't solve current problem.

Nigel you were right, we only get water for one bath plus a sink of dishes. don't know if the dishwasher heats its own water or uses the main system though?

Thats the problem, we're forever switching the water heater on at the panel because either there's just not enough, or it cools, so it has to go on for around 90 mins a day just so we have hot water.

Great advice, will look into that. We're not in York but I am from North Yorkshire ( love the place, ate somewhere very lovely there recently ) we're in Kent but will have a gander.. shame you can't quote me down here!!

Author unknown
  • loucroft
    Options
    Well, we got our first new quote and it seems reasonable so thats a good thing, wonder what the second quote will be!

It's funny, as a home owners shouldn't we be more aware of the costs for such things like boiler and heating systems so that we don't get stung - surely. I could have easily paid B Gas near to £5k some years ago to sort out what I can do for just over a half of that including more thatn bg. Thankfully I could probably have paid that but wasn't stupid enough to pay out what I'd pay for a decent car.
    Just thought I'd release my annoyance with big companies! Neighbours haven't helped today either!

Rant over,L

Author unknown
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills