Camcorder to DVD

Options
WHA
WHA Posts: 1,359 Forumite
When I create a DVD via my PC from captured camcorder footage, it is very "jumpy" and leaves like a shadow whenever anything is moving on the DVD.

This doesn't happen when I copy from the camcorder to video cassette via the AV lead/scart so I presume something is going wrong either during capture by the PC (using firewire) or within the PC (tried using Ulead and Roxio creation software but both the same).

Any pointers as to what to do next - the DVD's are barely watchable.

Comments

• skiddy2k
    skiddy2k Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Options
    How long is your captured footage that you burnt onto the dvd?
  • Tomthumb
    Tomthumb Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have to convert them to dvd first using a programme like VSO - convertxtodvd?
  • onzey
    onzey Posts: 830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could be interlacing type problems see this article

Click on 'Reference' near top of that page for other articles.
  • WHA
    WHA Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Options
    OK, thanks for the help so far. Things have moved on but still the problem remains. The video clip I'm practicing with is only 2 minutes long so I don't think I'm overloading the system. I have now tried a couple of conversion programs, but still the same result, so I think my editing software is doing the job internally itself ok. The interlacing problem is still a possibility that I've not yet fully explored as I've moved forward a bit.

I've now tried to burn another movie onto a dvd which has worked perfectly, so I am happy with the dvds and dvd writer working properly. The mini dv tape has been transferred on a friends PC and produced a perfect dvd using their equipment.

So I think I am left looking at the capturing of the tape between the camcorder and the PC. I would have first thought of a faulty firewire card in the pc, but I have 2 PCs and recently bought the cards separately, so the cards in each pc are different yet both produce the same problem. I have 3 different software programs loaded onto both PCs - one came with the Freecom DVD writer (Roxio), one came with one of the firewire cards (Ulead) and one came with the camcorder (Sony picture package) and the same problem occurs whichever software I use.

Anyone any ideas what to do next??? I can't see any settings on the camcorder nor the PC as to quality or transfer speed etc - is there something I'm missing re the capture process using firewire?
  • onzey
    Options
    If you view the raw captured file on your PCs does it look right? If not probably is a capture problem . Are you dropping frames? I don't know if your capture software reports this. (You could try using a little program called DVIO which if I remember correctly does report dropped frames)

If frames are dropping you need to improve the ability of your PC's to capture video and there are a number of possibilities.

If you don't get the help you need on mse try these forums

DVdoctor

and

SimplyDV
  • derbyjo
    derbyjo Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    I spent a long time working out which camcorder to buy. After lots of useful advice I went for a Canon 960 mini dv. I now have a full tape and want to transfer it to my laptop, edit it and burn a dvd or two for family members back in the UK to laugh at. I have a firewire cable that I bought, and the laptop has a firewire port, but when I connect it, and turn the camcorder to play, windows movie maker says that no device is connected. I have tried with the software supplied, but it says the same thing. I have had an IT guy out here have a look without success, but I am sure that someone will have resolved this problem easily, I'd be really grateful if you would share the answer as I am tearing my hair out!
  • onzey
    Options
    Have you tried another firewire cable, preferably one that is definately known to work?

Do you know how to look in control panel and get to the device manager (search these forums or internet , no doubt explained somewhere)? With your camera connected you should see some new device appear assuming a good cable (and functioning firewire ports). If you see a new device report back what it says in device manager.
  • derbyjo
    derbyjo Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I will try that, I didn't think to look in devices. I looked in my computer, and nothing new showed up, and nothing pinged in the bottom right hand corner. I will try and get hold of another firewire cable too, I actually bought 2 from amazon by mistake, so would hope that one of them is working, but will check that out in the morning. many thanks so far!
  • onzey
    Options
    I doubt I'll be checking the forums for a day or two but others will help I expect. Also check the links I posted earlier to dedicated forums. The same type of problem has been discussed there I imagine a number of times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure