Refund for Scams

Options
I have very foolishly been caught out by an American co selling holidays. I was charged for the taxes for a "free" 2 week holiday. I put this on my M&S Mastercard. Now I've tried getting a refund from the co as I have a phone No for them , they tell me I will be called back but they never do. Have phoned M&S and they say they can't do a charge back unless its within 30 days and because it was with an American Co they can't do it at all. I was led to believe that I could get it refunded. Can anybody advise me who to contact. Really worried as I can't afford to make the repayments at present as off work sick. Realise I have been caught out well and truly.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    The question that needs to be answered is, did you mean to pay this company any money? If not why did you give them your card details?
  • Hammersmum
    Options
    Yes, i did agree to pay, but was told it was fully refundable if I didn't want to take up the offer. However, getting them to do the refund seems to be impossible, have phoned them several times and keep getting fobbed off. M& S say that if I can get something in writing from them then they me able to do a charge back. Can't beieve I was so gullible to fall for this. Must of have had a senior moment when I agreed..
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe you have 90 days to make a claim from the date you did not receive the service/goods for which you paid. How long ago was it?
    That it was an American company is IMHO irrelevant to this situation.
    If the card company still refuse to refund you ask for a letter confirming you have exhausted their internal complaints procedure so you can take your case to the ombudsman... or write to one of the broadsheets with a money section asking them to intervene. Bad publicity for a financial services company will often spur them into action.
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • INT1
    INT1 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will have to prove to the company that the contract has either been miss sold/mispresented or goods/services not received.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure