Walk To Supermarket

Just wanted to let everyone I had another minor kinda lightbulb moment this morning!

I walked to the supermarket (I always drive, lazy I know), saving on petrol, burning off some calories and then realising I couldn't carry much home so only bought the essentials! Wasn't tempted to spend on extras knowing I would have to lug it all home, hooray for walking!!

Enough of my waffle, just love it when I save money!:j :j

Have a good weekend everyone!!

Comments

• The old-fashioned ways are always the best!
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • Ebany
    Ebany Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This is the reason I don't order delivery often - knowing I have to carry anything I buy home makes me really think about if I need things! I see other people say they buy less ordering online, but if I do it always costs loads more as I don't have to worry about weight. Admittedly, I also take the chance to stock up on heavy things so I expect it to be a bit more, but it always suprises me when I see the total at the end.
  • i walk to the supermarket too.
    not reallyany other options, unless i want to pay for the bus!! :D
    x
    Saving for a deposit: £11,000 / £50,000 (22%) :)
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    those who walk how far is it? it would be a 12 mile walk for me to our nearest supermarket and back, is this just because I live in the sticks? lol
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CoD wrote:
    those who walk how far is it? it would be a 12 mile walk for me to our nearest supermarket and back, is this just because I live in the sticks? lol

For me it's about a mile and a half round trip to the nearest small supermarket, and four miles to some larger ones.
    Stompa
  • CoD_2
    CoD_2 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Stompa wrote:
    For me it's about a mile and a half round trip to the nearest small supermarket, and four miles to some larger ones.

thats cool :cool: we have a little village garage come post office come general store, but for veg i've generally seen 4 potatoes, 2 bananas and an onion for sale :rotfl: also v. expensive.

tescos is 24 miles round trip and sainsburys 12 miles. asda i think about 60 :rotfl:
  • You put me to shame, it's not even a mile for me but I still can't remember the last time I walked :think:
    Bank of Mum £10,786.00
    Barclaycard £2,527.00 (£1,000 saved to pay off)
    Overdraft £750.00
    Total £14.063
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CoD wrote:
    tescos is 24 miles round trip and sainsburys 12 miles. asda i think about 60 :rotfl:

I suspect most people would have trouble finding sufficient time to walk such distances. I have occasionally walked to my local Waitrose which is about a 10 mile round trip - but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it!!!
    Stompa
  • I'd love it if I could walk to the supermarket! If you can, I think you should.....
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • Ebany
    Ebany Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thankfully I have a Tesco, and Asda and a Sainsburys Central (don't go there much) all within a 10 minute walk! However I am sure the amount I save by not owning a car is probably more than made up for in paying horrific rent for a place this central...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure