Do dishwashers clean with cold water?

Options
Hi I just opened my dishwasher to put in a stray dish and the water sploshing around was cold. Is this normal? The dishwasher is quite old we inherited it with the house.

Comments

• Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife finds it hard with cold water. I would not know as I never do the Washing Up, its womans work. :rotfl:
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• elaine373
    elaine373 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *zippy* wrote:
    Hi I just opened my dishwasher to put in a stray dish and the water sploshing around was cold. Is this normal? The dishwasher is quite old we inherited it with the house.
    No it should be warm but i think the first rinse is cold, so it depends what part of the cycle you opened it. Run it through again and check approx halfway through.
    “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball.
  • elaine373
    elaine373 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *zippy* wrote:
    Meant to say, if the plates etc are coming out clean and shiny then i would guess it is hotting up as it should.
    “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball.
  • Tallymanjohn
    Options
    The dishwashers we've had have only a cold water connection - the water is then heated within the machine so if you opened it just after the start it won't have had time to heat up.
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all

It was near the beging of the cycle. I will check further on next time we use it. Cleaning results are not brill so worth checking it out.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    If it was near the beginning it may have been rinsing the plates prior to the wash.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    once my washer has finished the plates are baking hot! (drying not required)
    I bet your heating element has gone...
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our dishwasher has only a cold fill but when I put it in nine and a half years ago I plumbed it in to the hot water system.

When we are about to start a wash cycle we run the hot tap in the sink nearby to get rid of the cold water in the dead leg. (The theory being it is cheaper to warm water with gas than electricity, and you get warm water in for the first rinse)
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure