How to free a siezed up nut

My daughter has a Vauxhall Zafira 7 seater , on the rear window is the back wiper. The blade fell off awhile ago, and she bought a new one.He husband has tried to unscrew the nut to replace the wiper .He has tried everything he could think of to free this darned nut and nothing seems to work.They took it into a local Vauxhall dealer, and they couldn't undo it either . They did suggest that they could remove the whole thing and replace it with a new complete wiper and motor ect for £200.00+ v.a.t :eek: .As the car is not that new it hardly seemed woth the effort. Anyone got any ideas as to what they could use .They have tried wd40 plus various different oils to try and free it to no avail.
They are now stumped :confused:

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Heat is one of the things that usualy works in freeing stuborn nuts but it depends on how close it is to something that will react badly to heat.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • JackieO, I'd suggest a visit to a scrapyard and get a 2nd hand one. Then acquire the Haynes manual for the car and use that to fit the part. Oh no, I mean for your daughter's DH to fit it, don't be getting your hands dirty when there's a man about!!!
  • ariba10 wrote:
    Heat is one of the things that usualy works in freeing stuborn nuts but it depends on how close it is to something that will react badly to heat.

I wonder if a hair-dryer might work ,that's not too hot is it
  • I know you say WD40 has been tried but I can really recommend "Plus Gas" dismantling lubricant.

Not sure what the difference between this and normal oils is but if you follow the instructions on the tin (I think you apply it, wait a while, reapply then try again) it should do the trick.

Good luck.
  • JackieO wrote:
    My daughter has a Vauxhall Zafira 7 seater , on the rear window is the back wiper. The blade fell off awhile ago, and she bought a new one.He husband has tried to unscrew the nut to replace the wiper .He has tried everything he could think of to free this darned nut and nothing seems to work.They took it into a local Vauxhall dealer, and they couldn't undo it either . They did suggest that they could remove the whole thing and replace it with a new complete wiper and motor ect for £200.00+ v.a.t :eek: .As the car is not that new it hardly seemed woth the effort. Anyone got any ideas as to what they could use .They have tried wd40 plus various different oils to try and free it to no avail.
    They are now stumped :confused:

If their is no possible way it will come of by normal means by using sprays etc then another option is to use a nut splitter ,these go over the nut end you tighten the threaded chisel tip into the stuck nut it should then come off easier ,just take off the old nut change the blade/wiper arm and replace the old nut with a new one ! I can't believe no one at the dealer didn't think of this . you can buy these at most toolshops or halfords etc. I have included this link as a guide to what you are looking for :Dhttp://www.diytools.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?kw=nut+splitters
    You are maybe looking at a total repair cost of £10 max including buying the tool etc. better than £200+
    Avoid fruit and nuts .You are what you eat :D :rotfl: :rotfl:

:D:D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Jackie,

You should get some more help with this on the Motoring board, so I'll move your thread over there.

Pink
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find WD40 shifts most nuts - have you tried spannering it clockwise as well as anti-clockwise (some nuts work this way). Not suggesting you stick a scaffold pole over the spanner - just give it a try with normal pressure.
  • If the siezed up nut has been done up really just that little bit too much, then I'd suggest you try and do it up just a tad more, as I've found this will often make it really easy to undo.
  • Either a nut splitter or an impact driver. You'll get either from https://www.screwfix.com for under a tenner and either will do the trick
  • nemo183 wrote:
    If the siezed up nut has been done up really just that little bit too much, then I'd suggest you try and do it up just a tad more, as I've found this will often make it really easy to undo.

I wouldn't as it might shear the thread of the bolt / stud .

Can you get at the nut enough to carefully cut it off using a junior hacksaw ( without cutting in to the thread ) same result as the nut splitter just a little cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure