We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Calluna Vulgaris

Options
hi

i purchased four of these plants yesterday and have searched the internet about them. I understand they flower alsorts of colourful flowers, but they all have different names.

I have checked the labels on the pots and is says 'sprayed calluna' does anyone know what this means? and what colours will these flower?

thxs

Comments

• westiea
    westiea Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

The heathers that you bought have been sprayed with a food colouring - a cheap way to make them attractive, this is temporary.

The colour generally lasts a few months (through the winter) as it is intended that the plant is used as winter bedding - i.e compost when colour wears off.

The plant will revert to its species form as they tend not to use more expensive cultivars.

Calluna vulgaris is a plant of acidic heathland growing to 2' with spread similar. Flowers are white through to dark pink.
    Greyer by the minute - Older by the hour - Wiser by the day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport