Spending diary???

Options
OK.. Today is pay day.

Want to start a spending diary but not too sure how I should do it?

Should I just do a running total of my bank balance

or

what im allowed to spend only

What do you find is best??

Comments

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Hi JH I found when I first joined we seemed to be 'leaking' money left right and centre.. the whole idea of the spending diary is really to list every penny that you spend so you can see where the cash is going to and plug any leaks :D For instance that daily paper @35p a day,do you really need it you can read it online,sandwiches for work,cups of tea etc etc
  • JH1985_2
    Options
    Think What I might do is

In one corner of my little book I have made is put my bank balance, then put whatever i spend in the the middle of the page then in the other bottom corner put what the balance will be after i have spent whatever i have bought.

So it will be like a constant reminder of my bank balance too!

Thanks D&DD
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent idea :D We all have our ways to inspire us and there are always ideas floating around on here to help by the way welcome to the DFW Board:D
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Options
    My spending diary is a whiteboard in the kitchen and if I think we are going back to our frittering ways I have a few weeks of writing out in glorious technicolour what we are spending our money on. It's a constant 'in your face' reminder and works for us!
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • Dan2779
    Options
    I dont know if this is the right thing to do but I only put stuff I havent accounted for in my spending diary e.g. drinks, snacks...

If something is on my SOA I dont include it e.g. petrol and weekly food shopping as I have already budgeted for this.

That way I can see what uneccessary things I have wasted my money on and try and cut that spend down each week
    Debt at Highest £3989.04 on 01/09/06:eek:
    Debt Free 15/04/07 :j

:cool: £2 Savings Cub - £96 (£50 banked)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I did this once a very long time ago, you have to make sure you are really disciplined and write the amounts down asap............you'd be suprised what you can forget in a day.

Just to add that last weekend I didn't get round to getting any cash out, and since Sunday I've only had a pounds worth of change.....................and I've managed to not spend a penny of it all week!! Just got some out today, how bizarre!:D
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    I give myself and my bf £400 each a month to "play with."

I then write down every single thing I buy (even down to the 4p I spent on steak - had a voucher for £10 and it cost £10.04).

Everything is budgeted for in a different account, i.e mortgage bills petrol food etc.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Serialdieter
    Options
    Hi

I have a spreadsheet that I update daily. It has different sheets for budgeted spends and frivolous spends, plus running totals etc. Whether you got with a little book or a spreadsheet, you need to find something that works for you and stick with it.

Jx
    Debt at LBM £15231.43:eek: now £11397.43 Coming Down :D
    Snowball says DFD [strike]March[/strike] Feb 2010
    Official DFW Nerd No: 218 ;)

Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • JH1985_2
    Options
    All your ideas sound really good, Thank you.

Im hoping that this month I might be able to sort my money out properly.

Fingers crossed
  • BlondeHeadOn
    Options
    I started a spending diary in Excel, and completely stopped spending! I had this nice little spreadsheet with a daily section, ready for a list of all the things I bought and their cost.... But everytime I went to buy anything I didn't want to put it into my spending diary so... I didn't buy anything!

Quickest way to stop spending on unnecessaries I ever found!!!

:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport