Opinions wanted on electricity bill/useage

Options
DavidF
DavidF Posts: 498 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 September 2010 at 2:58PM in Energy
Hi people. Just wanted to run these figures by you knowlegable people to see if this seems correct...The figures are for my 3 adults living in a 3 bed house.
Tv on about 12 hours a day
1 light on 6 hours per night
Fridge - 24/7 obv...AAA rated
Now as you can see there is no Central heating (Gas), No hot water (Gas), Never use electric fire.......Here are his figures.

Total cost: £148.77

Total electricity usage: 1288 units

Detailed Usage:

10 Jun 2010 - actual
68298 We read your meter

02 Sep 2010 - actual
69586 We read your meter

= 1288.0 kWh used over 85 days

Usage charge
First 116 kWh x 23.207 p = £26.92
Next 1172 kWh x 10.397 p = £121.85

Total cost of electricity used
£148.77

1. So is this a high usage ? 1288.0 kWh used over 85 days ?
2. Is the overall price too high or about right for the kWh used ?
3. The bill payer is 75yo are there any special tarrifs I can get him put onto especially for pensioners ?

His bills seem strange to me in that his gas costs less than his electicity...considering his heating and hot water are all gas. He lives in Scotland and is currently with Scottish/British Gas duel fuel. Is he using too much ? Can he get a better deal ? Any help is appreciated.
BTW he says he pays £75pm DD for Elec and £45pm for Gas.

Edit to add - I have just looked at his/there electricity useage over 1 year (last year to today) and its 5677 kWh is this a lot ?

Comments

• notbritishgas
    Options
    Yes 5677 kwh per year is quite high, especially with the appliances you describe. You did not mention cooking, how is that done.
    Some TV's, eg plasma, use more electricity than others.
    Put the consumption,5677, into a comparison site eg energyhelpline and that will show if there are any savings to be made.
    As for special tariffs I think they are more dependant on income rather than age.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The UK average is supposed to be 3,300 kWh a year. However loads of people exceed this by a huge margin(myself included - 7,500kWh)

The size of house isn't a big factor for electricity, so 5,677 kWh is highish(15.5 kWh per day) but not excessive.

Scotland tends to be more expensive, but certainly you can do better on an internet tariff than the prices you quoted.(they appear to be a standard tariff) You need to enter the details into a comparison website to get an accurate comparison.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure