ssfa/Substitute service family accomodation help pls!

hi all right basicly my hubby has been posted from the reg for the past 2 years and the time recently came for him to go back.
this is where the problems start:mad: there is no housing for us,we were put on a waiting list and 3 months later still noughting! so we were put on the ssfa not by our choice in this time my hubby has now returned to the reg and i`v been left behind.
anyway this week we were offreed 2 houses to pick from both new builds we picked the one closest to school for my daughter.
now after doing a quick search of ssfa on hear am very concerned about the rent we are going to be paying! we have just undertaken an iva so our budget is very limeted and we are just about keeping our heads out of the water! a rent increase would ruin us!
even more frustraiting for me is the fact we were told there would be no rent increase from what we are on now.
we accepted the house as we were told we wouldnt be offered anymore and im sick of living on my own to be quite frank!
even more frustraiting for me is the fact my friend from the same reg her hubbys posting is also up and the have recieved a house whithin 8 days of putting her paperwork in an army one not rented!:eek: her needs are the exact same as me!
im after advice of anyone whos been there can i turn these houses down as the paperwork is still being sorted? and if i do where do i stand?
i have been told i will get my 90 days in this house and then have to pay full rent! all that and im not even near my hubby!
help springs to mind!:mad:

Comments

• helsee
    helsee Posts: 119 Forumite
    what rent are you being asked to pay? you wont pay the market rental value of the house...you will pay Grade 1 rent and the difference will be met by the MOD. You can turn the ssfa down and apply for retention of your current quarter if you want to?
  • helsee wrote: »
    what rent are you being asked to pay? you wont pay the market rental value of the house...you will pay Grade 1 rent and the difference will be met by the MOD. You can turn the ssfa down and apply for retention of your current quarter if you want to?

thats the thing lol the rent is going to be at least 200 more than what we are paying now,although no one will give us an exact answer! i dont want to stay in my current quarter as it means living apart from my hubby as hes now working over 2 hours away.i dont see why we should be peanalised and made to foot the bill:mad: we didn`t ask to be in rented housing, i just simply want a house close to my hubby! and the one we have been offreed is 20 mins from his work, its not my fault there isnt enough army quarters:mad: i`v just had enough with the whole situation! is anyone in a ssfa what rent do you pay?
  • Hi,
    I would suggest you speak to the AFF Army families federation, this kind of situation is exactly what they are there for, you should not be penalised for the unavailability of SFA.

Good luck
    E
  • Army im guessing as your husband in a regiment, does he know anyone on the patch who can do a little walk around and find out the addresses of empty quarters??

Once armed with a few addresses get back on to DE, and tell them the addresses they will give you some bull about them being allocated already (if you can find out how long they have been empty even better). If they wont budge on this get everyone involved, AFF, SSAFA, Padre (<god squad on your side is usually very handy).

Dont get sh1tty with them just state that you cant afford that and you want to be put in a quarter. Good luck
  • helsee
    fran2491 wrote: »
    thats the thing lol the rent is going to be at least 200 more than what we are paying now,although no one will give us an exact answer! i dont want to stay in my current quarter as it means living apart from my hubby as hes now working over 2 hours away.i dont see why we should be peanalised and made to foot the bill:mad: we didn`t ask to be in rented housing, i just simply want a house close to my hubby! and the one we have been offreed is 20 mins from his work, its not my fault there isnt enough army quarters:mad: i`v just had enough with the whole situation! is anyone in a ssfa what rent do you pay?

you should pay for an ssfa the same as a grade 1 quarter, the mod will make up the difference.
  • jolou
    jolou Posts: 55 Forumite
    zyonchaos wrote: »
    Army im guessing as your husband in a regiment, does he know anyone on the patch who can do a little walk around and find out the addresses of empty quarters??

Once armed with a few addresses get back on to DE, and tell them the addresses they will give you some bull about them being allocated already (if you can find out how long they have been empty even better). If they wont budge on this get everyone involved, AFF, SSAFA, Padre (<god squad on your side is usually very handy).

Dont get sh1tty with them just state that you cant afford that and you want to be put in a quarter. Good luck

But if the quarters are grade 1 they will be the same rent as a ssfa anyway.
  • zyonchaos wrote: »
    Army im guessing as your husband in a regiment, does he know anyone on the patch who can do a little walk around and find out the addresses of empty quarters??

we have tried this allready lol we have given them over 10 diff addys to pick from and all were aparently allocated, there is such a shortage that houses are being allocated before peeps have even moved out! and i know this is true as when my friend went to have a peek at her new addy there was still a family in there:eek:/
  • ekd wrote: »
    Hi,
    I would suggest you speak to the AFF Army families federation, this kind of situation is exactly what they are there for, you should not be penalised for the unavailability of SFA.

Good luck
    E

iv had advice from aff allready regarding the situation and i think i will be going back to them,waiting for the ssfa woman to get back to me first to decide what my next step will be.
    tried ringing her since thursday and she still hasnt got back to me:mad:
    tar for all the help peeps.:T
  • When i was in the mob, i rented from them,and the price was WAY WAY cheaper thatn ANYTHING in civvie street.
    What more do you want?
  • helsee
    i think the poster is worried she'll be paying full, civvy rate rent. She wont, of course.

OP what grade of house would you be in in an sfa? you'll pay the same for a ssfa as a grade one sfa, if you see what i mean?

as for what more do we want...um......let me see.....lol ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure