Debit Card - Credits & Reversals ???

Hi there ...

Please don't shout at me if i've threaded in the wrong place :o just nudge me in the right direction :p

At the end of August, after to many drinks one night I had a few plays on a Mecca Bingo site and won two lots of prizes ... £700 & £500. I cashed these winnings in and back into my Nationwide Current account (I had credited the Mecca site with my debit card).

They both appeared back in my account approx 2 days later.

I have just been checking my account this morning and the same winnings were credited again last week :eek: .... and then this morning they have been debited again :eek:

All geared up and ready to ring the bank I find out what's going on ... checked my emails first and have just received an email from Mecca advising that they had an error with there systems and had processed a batch of credits twice ... which would explain whats happened.

My question your wondering ;) ?? .... are these companies allowed to do this ? If someone credits my account either by accident or negligence then I assume it's a relatively straight forward procedure (same as handing money to a bank cashier really and saying please credit account - no authorisation needed).

However in terms of debits - my understanding is that the transaction needs to have been approved by myself and to have received an authorisation code. Can companies just 'willy-nilly' credit & debit your account without your say so ??? :confused:

This is not the first time this has happened to me ... a few months ago Argos did something similar .... there excuse ... 'oh sorry - we had a problem with our banking system' :eek:

Sometimes I think the safest place for my hard earned cash is under the bed :D

Sorry again if i'e posted in the wrong place ... just after a little guidance/advice before I ring Nationwide ... thanks for reading ... Dazza

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport