PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Liabillity after House Sale/Purchase

Options
We recently bought & sold.
We are being pursued by the new owner costs to repair an appliance (which was working when we left).
I am seriously annoyed by this, but it got me thinking..

when we moved into our new house, we were unable to live there straight away as it needed cleaning as the previous owner left a real mess.
Also the plumbing needs £1000 of repairs - something not mentioned when we bought.

Anyway - what is the liability after the sale ?
(I wont be pursuing our seller as I dont believe it would be successful)

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caveat Emptor = Buyer beware.

It is their own responsibilty to check that things are in good working order before they buy. If it was working when you left then it is their own problem. Refer them to their own solicitor who will tell them to leave it.

(Is it definitely broken - you know how some appliances have their own eccentricites that other people don't seem to be able to work them?!)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Jamsterthehamster
    Options
    I'm annoyed that they have instructed their solicitor to send the letter!
    I think they are out for what they can get.
    ( i dont believe for 1 minute that its broken)
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    It is their own responsibilty to check that things are in good working order before they buy.

On a practical level, it is almost impossible to physically check that an appliance is working before you actually part with the money on completion...

Doozergirl is correct though - buyer beware. If they've instructed their solicitor to write a letter, take comfort from the fact that this will cost them money and get them nowhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure