6 months or 9 months maternity

Options
Hi
I hope someone can answer this question, my hubby and I are planning on trying to start a family shortly. We both work and I will be entitled to 6 months paid maternity leave at SMP, but I have heard rumours leave will be increasing to 9months in april 2007, firstly can anyone confirm this is true. If so will it only count if you conceive from april onwards.
Thanks liz

Comments

• Leilasmum
    Options
    Yes, it is true. As I'm due in Feb, I'm very peeved.
    Anyway, I think it applies if you begin your maternity leave in April.
    Leilasmum
  • freda
    freda Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe that the 9 months is being confirmed in early October, and is for people with a *due date* on or after 1st April 07, regardless of when the baby is actually born.

Freda
    (EDD 3 April and hoping it stays that way!)
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    Yup, it's going up to nine months for babies born on or after 1 April 2007.

Similar thing happened to me when the maternity leave increased from 18 weeks to 26 weeks. It was for babies due on or after 5 April 2003, so as it worked out, when you got your MAT B1 form from your midwife, if your due date was 4 April 2003, but baby was born on, say, 8 April 2003, then you didn't get the increase, but if your baby was due on say, 8 April 2003 but was born on 4 April 2003 then you did. I hope that makes sense.

Needless to say, DH got wind of this and was ready with the calendar to take full advantage - DD's due date was 24 April 2003!!!! I know afew people though whose babies were born in the March and early April who really missed out though.

Jxxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • Counting_Pennies_2
    Options
    That is correct, there is legislation coming in about sharing that leave with the father if mother wants to return early and let dad share some of the time off, but that is now unlikely to come out until the end of this parliamentary term, which will also bring in maternity pay for 12 months.

So yes, you are right, if you get pregnant now, you will be entitled to 9 months maternity pay.
  • scotgirl
    Options
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
  • ViksB
    ViksB Posts: 329 Forumite
    Options
    Reply I am under the impression it is for people who are pregnant with babies due on or after the 7th April 2007. Although it doesn't matter if the baby comes early as long as the due date is after. Also you can start you maternity leave before too.
  • crispeater
    crispeater Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    ooh 9 mths is it now, i've just returned after 12mths off mat leave and i can feel another baby coming on lolol

:P
    It only seems kinky the first time.. :A
  • ruthyjo
    Options
    Janepig wrote:
    Yup, it's going up to nine months for babies born on or after 1 April 2007.

Similar thing happened to me when the maternity leave increased from 18 weeks to 26 weeks. It was for babies due on or after 5 April 2003, so as it worked out, when you got your MAT B1 form from your midwife, if your due date was 4 April 2003, but baby was born on, say, 8 April 2003, then you didn't get the increase, but if your baby was due on say, 8 April 2003 but was born on 4 April 2003 then you did. I hope that makes sense.

Needless to say, DH got wind of this and was ready with the calendar to take full advantage - DD's due date was 24 April 2003!!!! I know afew people though whose babies were born in the March and early April who really missed out though.

Jxxx

When I had my DD almost five years ago I got the midwife to change her due date by a few days on the MAT B1 certificate. This was because the six months at 90% was calculated on certain pay period (can't remember the exact details) and I wanted to get some overtime taken into account. The midwife was fine with doing that. For anyone with a baby due late March/ early April it might be worth a try!
  • Bluefusion
    Options
    We have expecting twins, and have been given a due date of April 1st 2007, but have been told they will probably be delivered early by cesarean.

So does this means my wife would get the 9 months off with pay instead of the usual 6?
  • Money_Maker_Shaker
    Options
    Bluefusion wrote:
    We have expecting twins, and have been given a due date of April 1st 2007, but have been told they will probably be delivered early by cesarean.

So does this means my wife would get the 9 months off with pay instead of the usual 6?

My understanding is yes. As long as the due date on your MAT B1 form is 1st April or later, you are entitled. It doesn't depend on the actual date your twins are born. Only thing to watch out for is if your wife's due date is altered by the hospital when they do the dating scan at about 12 weeks. But I suspect you've had this done by now.

Congrats to you both on your double good fortune.

MMS
    :j Go on, shake your money maker! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family