PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Viewing a vacant property:need advice!

Options
I went to view a vacant house to buy and this was the firstbtime I'd viewed anywhere that the owners weren't living in, so there was no-one except the estate agent with me.

So here's the thing: how do I know if the basics like heating, electricity, plumbing work, if none of those things are turned on when I view?! What should I do in this situation? Yes, I could ask the agent, but it's not like I can hold her to account if she's only telling me they work 'to the best of her knowledge'.

Is it acceptable for me to turn on the boiler, flush the loo, test the taps etc when viewing a vacant property?

Thanks for any help!

DD

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    of course it is ... and open and close every door window and drawer !!!
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    If the water and power are turned on there is nothing to stop you.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    You would be better relying on a gas safety check being done than trying to turn on a boiler yourself. You could arrange a gas inspection if you are seriously thinking of making an offer - just as you would a surveyor.

If it's a repo it'll be sold as seen - so offer low to take into account a new boiler etc.

If there's any paperwork available (Usually not) then this can tell you if it's been serviced - but take pen and paper. Write down the model of the boiler. Look for any service date stickers and then research when you get home.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2010 at 9:45AM
    Options
    I'd hope that any agent selling on my behalf would actively stop a viewer from merely 'switching the boiler on', unless they KNEW everything was connected and ready to go, and I'd actively given the OK for it.

Are you willing to take the responsibility for any damage you cause by arbitrarily testing systems in a house that you don't currently own? Do you have any personal or public liability insurance, similar to that which a plumber or other tradesman would have if he were recommissioning a heating or plumbing system that had been inactive for a while?

What safety checks would you do before switching on a gas boiler that hasn't been in regular use within an occupied house, and has been inactive for a while?
  • ILW
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    I'd hope that any agent selling on my behalf would actively stop a viewer from merely 'switching the boiler on', unless they KNEW everything was connected and ready to go, and I'd actively given the OK for it.

Are you willing to take the responsibility for any damage you cause by arbitrarily testing systems in a house that you don't currently own? Do you have any personal or public liability insurance, similar to that which a plumber or other tradesman would have if he were recommissioning a heating or plumbing system that had been inactive for a while?

What safety checks would you do before switching on a gas boiler that hasn't been in regular use within an occupied house, and has been inactive for a while?

Blimey, I never realised you needed to be a fully qualified engineer to just turn a boiler on. I had better get to college before winter comes and my place starts getting a little chilly.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    why not turn on a hot tap and see what happens...... most boilers are on "frost control" if not used regularly which means they should fire up to heat the water as the tap turns on.....
  • jozbo
    jozbo Posts: 334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also this may seem obvious but if you go back for a second viewing do take measurements for where the bed, table, etc will fit - a vacant property without furniture looks much bigger than a house full of sofas.
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see the harm in asking if you really want to switch the boiler on, however, you should be able to see when the boiler was last serviced and whether this is up to date.

Do you know when the house was vacated? what is the reason for the sale?
  • Bonbon
    Bonbon Posts: 564 Forumite
    Options
    When b/f was looking for a house we could never remember everything we saw. He took some photos and luckily this proved to be very helpful as the previous owner took an electric fire which was included in the sale.The photo proved that he returned the correct item.When viewing I try to remember.....ceilings,floor,windows door.
    Ceilings: to check for light fittings, cracks etc. It's easy to forget to look up.
    Floor: colour/condition of carpets,tiles
    Windows: have a look outside upstairs.It will give you an idea of the neighbourhood.You will get to see the neighbours gardens (a rubbish tip or neat and tidy)
    Doors:internal for style and to check locking systems on external ones.
    Simple things that you might not remember when you get home. We looked at a few before b/f bought his and always had the same, did you notice.....? conversation after viewing.
  • ILW
    Options
    Bonbon wrote: »
    When b/f was looking for a house we could never remember everything we saw. When viewing I try to remember.....ceilings,floor,windows door.

I agree, I do not think I would wish to live in a house that did not have all of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure