Need to install heating in small flat

Options
I have just bought a v small flat which currently has no heating. There is no gas to the property so whatever I do has to be electric. I have no clues what is out there on the market. I would like low cost installation, low running costs, slimline (it is a small flat) and clearly I want to be roasty toasty in winter.
Any advice on where to start?

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It depends how much you want to spend.

The cheapest capital outlay will be basic electric heaters. Portable plug in ones will be the cheapest probably, but if you want a permanent installation, panel heaters are available.
    Cheapest capital outlay, but probably the most expensive to run.

The usual option is night storage heaters. More expensive to install, but compared to many other heating options, still relatively cheap. You'll need E7 (or similar) tariff so you use the cheap rate night time electricity.

Or there's high capital, modern technology such as heat pumps, but perhaps the cheapest running costs.

Get a couple of electrical heating engineers around for a discussion on what they can provide and quote on what it will cost to install.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If your insulation is good, and your neighbours are heating the building for you, you might get away with a fan heater to top up the temperature.

To save space, get a flame effect wall mounted fireplace.

http://www.fireplaceworld.co.uk/wall-hanging-fireplaces

You can get as fancy as you like.
    This one has a mirror and does play back of an aqarium.

http://www.jcelectrics.com/shopp/Heating/lva192.html

If you ever cleaned out a real aquarium, this is worth the money just in terms of the time it saves you, on top of the dead fish you have to replace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure