PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help no one is giving me my deposit back

Options
All

I rented a property from a LA and handed over my deposit and moved in. After two months i was offerred a job abroad and took it. I gave the LL notice as per my contract, agreed a move out date which we both happy with and paid the final sum.

I cleaned the flat from top to bottom and the LL and LA agreed the deposit should be released and authorised this to the deposit scheme people. So far so good...or so i thought.

During my rental the LA was taken over by another LA firm, and the rentals were dealt with by another department. I chased and chased as to when my deposit was going to be returned and the following answers were given:

1- the other department will sort it in the next 5 working days
2 - Oh the other department doesnt have it
3 - Oh we sent it to the landlord and not the deposit scheme so we dont have it at all, you chase him now goodbye!!!

So now i cannot get any answer off the LL regarding my deposit, the letting agent wont give me the contact details they have for him, and im in Abu Dhabi trying to sort all this out.

Please can someone help me sort this out as as far as im concerned my deposit has been stolen in the worse case and in the best case misplaced by the LA. Do they have a legal responsibility to place the deposit with a scheme.

The LA service offerred was an introductory one only where they match the LL with the tenant and sot things like deposit, inventory. keys, meter readings etc. But surely the safe guarding of the deposit should have been down to them.
is is getting me major stressed as this deposit should have been feeding me to live until my new jobs first payday!!!

Help!!!

Regards

GC
Sorry for waffling but th

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    have you got a receipt for the deposit ?

have you looked in all three deposit schemes to check if it was registered ?

if you moved out before the end of the fixed term, the LL is entitled to use the deposit for re-marketing the property and for rent until a new tenant is found......
  • chamb7914
    Options
    I have a reciept for the deposit being paid to the LA but not to the depsoit scheme. The landlord agreed that i would have my deposit released in full with no deductions. Does this hold up...
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    assuming you rented in england or wales

""have you looked in all three deposit schemes to check if it was registered ?"
  • chamb7914
    Options
    yes it was in swindon..how do i go about doing that, and if they havent who is in the wrong
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure