PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

yeast in BM?

Options
I use dried yeast in the packets in my BM but was reading one of the freebie threads which said people were getting free yeast from supermarkets from the bakery dept.

The manual says to only use fast action yeast, will it work if I use fresh yeast? Or does anyone know of a cheap way round it? I find the small packets a right old rip off!

many thanks:)
:)

Comments

• BrandNewDay
    Options
    I have heard that you are supposed to use the quick stuff in packets. In the book Tips for your Bread Machine (or whatever it's called) the author clearly says that you want the fast-acting stuff, NOT regular yeast and NOT fresh yeast.

Are the people in the freebie thread using bread machines?
    :beer:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you can use fresh yeast - you just can't put it straight into the machine.

You need to put some in water and add some sugar to activate it. The advice is to use warm water, but cold is OK, it just takes a little longer. Leave it sitting until the bubbles make a froth on top, then you can bung it in the machine.

I use an ice cube's worth (because I freeze it as soon as I get it) with one teaspoon of sugar to start. Then once it's in the machine I add two more teaspoons (total then is one tablespoon) and of course all the rest of the ingredients for the bread.

You'll need to keep an eye on the bread rising time the first few times because it might be a bit slower or faster than the program allows for, and if you always get a low rise, you can add a crushed vitamin c tablet (or two).

It takes trial and error, but if you also use the shop's own value plain flour at around 29 per pack (enough for three loaves) that's really cheap bread.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Guys, I'll probably give it a whirl...not sure if the freebie posters are using BMs Brandnewday...:)
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport