PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Having to pull out of purchase - again!

Options
I am pretty gutted at the thought of having to start viewing all over again. Surveyor just called me about the second place we've offered on to say he suspects subsidence in it! A few smaller issues that could be negotiated on, but the suspected movement and an asbestos tile roof are the deal breakers for me.

Is this normal? I feel like giving up :-(

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    millie console yourself with the fact that the surveyor found this ahead of your moving in... that WOULD have been a real nightmare...

we sometimes forget that the reason we employ experts is to protect us from disaster......

your house - is just around the corner....... chin up
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    We pulled out of the first 2 properties we offered on. First one the day before we were due to exchange, second one after valuation done - with hindsight we should have waited until we had the sellers information form with that one. All in cost us about £2k in fees. Totally gutted both times (and the bump was getting bigger and bigger as time passed...) in the end we ended up with a better house, more cheaply (by £100k!) than either of the ones we lost. However we ended up having to go through with selling ours and moving to temporary accommodation while house no. 3 went through. Bump became a 5wk old baby when we finally bought. I firmly believe that people end up with the house they are supposed to have - fate just chose an expensive and long winded way of showing us this time. Don't lose heart, you will get there and it will be a better house. Already told OH he'll be carrying me out of this one in a box :-)

Get back on the phone to the EAs and back to Rightmove. And relook at any you've discounted, the one we finally bought was one we chose not to view initially... Someone up there is laughing at me...

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, and with both of ours it was the solicitors finding something hincky in the paperwork that made us pull out - so listen to the professionals you employ! Ours said "I'm not really supposed to say this, but I wouldn't buy it..." (no.1-boundary dispute with next door neighbour that allegedly had been "sorted" - ha ha ha. No.2 - right of way across the back garden)

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    We had that in our survey however the surveyor was just being difficult. We had a builder check it out and confirm there was no recent movement and quote us for repointing so we could ask for a deduction from the sellers. Perhaps that is worth a try?
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Evilm wrote: »
    We had that in our survey however the surveyor was just being difficult. We had a builder check it out and confirm there was no recent movement and quote us for repointing so we could ask for a deduction from the sellers. Perhaps that is worth a try?

I wouldn't want to buy a house that a surveyor had said suffered from subsidence unless there was a massive price reduction. You may have real problems if you ever want to sell.
  • Cissi
    Cissi Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    Options

:eek: I don't think I'd take the word of a builder who is trying to sell you a job over that of a surveyor (who has nothing to gain by "being difficult"). Oh well, when people want something badly enough they believe what they want to believe. Hopefully you won't have any problems in future but personally I wouldn't have taken such a massive financial gamble...

OP, you've done the right thing and something better will come along!
  • surreybased
    Options
    Don't give up - we've finally managed to get a house after trying to buy 3 houses (i.e instructing solictors). First was a developer property who just wouldn't agree boundaries on the site - wanted us to have it informal!! After months and high legal costs we have to withdraw. In hindsight it was the right decision but equally we needed to try for the house. 2nd house had history of subsidence (had been corrected) but we just believed we wouldn't be happy with the place and it raised problems in reselling and insurance costs. Final house we had to go to sealed bids, did overpay but that's what we did. The right house is there for you and it can go through in 2 months which isn't that long to wait.
    Good Luck
  • milliebear00001
    Options

The valuation surveyor thought it was simple thermal cracking, but the homebuyer's surveyor reckons there are cracks below the damp proof (more suspicious as they may go down to footings) and there had been previous repointing remedial work which has since re-opened, suggesting an ongoing movement issue. The guy was not positive about the house at all so I don't want to waste more money getting out a structural engineer - especially as I now know it has an asbestos roof, already in need of some repair. Could turn into a money-pit if the roof needs replacing relatively soon.

Have put in a couple of requests to view other properties - maybe I can still be moved by Christmas!? Keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks for all your comments - they have made me feel a bit more positive about things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure