PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Paying Rent - What type of bank account to open?

Options
Hello!

I am about to move into a new flat with 3 friends and the letting agency has asked us to pay the rent from one account and set up a standing order. We would also like to be able to pay our bills from this one account in order to keep everything in one place.

What type of account can we do this with? where is the best place to go? and any other bits of advice about this would be great!

Comments

• sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    Opening up a joint account with friends can be risky. You can find yourself financially linked to them which can cause problems with your credit rating if one of them is a little wayward with their spending habits. You should think carefully about how well you know your friends before you take this step.

There are advantages to doing it though (like bills etc as you have identified) so you shouldn't just discount the idea completely. But make sure you have thought through all the what-ifs and possible problems before you commit.
  • Pepzofio
    Options
    Personally, I would nominate one of you to open a basic bank account (no overdraft/chequebook, but allows DDs & SOs) and all deposit money into it each month. You will need to think in advance how you are going to deal with things like bank charges (e.g. if one person's money doesn't go in and it causes a DD to bounce - who pays?) but you would have to do this anyway.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you go down the route of nominating one person to open the account into which you all make payments each month to cover rent, bills etc, make sure you have regular meetings and review the statements/bills together.

there was a thread on here some weeks back where a group of students did something similar, and when the year ended and they all left, they found that student A who had been collecting the payments from the others each month had NOT paid the gas, electric, council tax etc, but had vanished on a 'gap-year'! Leaving his ex-mates to settle all the bills which they'd already contributed towards.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2010 at 11:24AM
    Options
    [QUOTE=G_M;36654957]If you go down the route of nominating one person to open the account into which you all make payments each month to cover rent, bills etc, make sure you have regular meetings and review the statements/bills together.

there was a thread on here some weeks back where a group of students did something similar, and when the year ended and they all left, they found that student A who had been collecting the payments from the others each month had NOT paid the gas, electric, council tax etc, but had vanished on a 'gap-year'! Leaving his ex-mates to settle all the bills which they'd already contributed towards.[/QUOTE]

I agree it does need very close regular scrutiny. If someone in the group failed to make a payment into the pot it would be the account holder who would bear the responsibility for returned DD's etc and it could ultimately effect that person's credit record adversely.
  • Pepzofio
    Options
    Yes, I agree it needs close monitoring. But to be fair, exactly the same applies even if you each take charge of one bill (i.e. one person could easily not pay 'their' bill and everyone gets knobbled at the end) and it's a lot harder to work out who owes what to whom. I would also hope that the housesharers would be having regular meetings to keep on top of bills anyway.

I nearly suggested opening the basic account at a different bank to the nominee's regular bank, so that internet banking could be set up & internet access details provided to other housemates (without access to linked accounts being provided at the same time) so that anyone could review the account at any time, but I wasn't 100% sure if this was a good idea securitywise.

A basic bank account should not really affect the account holder's credit rating, as it does not provide a credit facility. The utility bills etc could still be in multiple names (or another house member's name) so that credit liability is shared more equally - DD can still come out of someone else's account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure