Switching supplier and cashback?

Options
colin8
colin8 Posts: 16 Forumite
Hello

Just after some advice please. Currently with EDF Economy 7 Electric and Gas but have gone on to "Go Compare" website and Scottish Power are currently offering a good deal.

I noticed that if you end the contract with Scottish Power before October 2011 a charge applies to both gas and electric but I wondered if we did move house, does that still apply if we kept with the same supplier, ie Scottish Power? We are just uncertain as to whether we will move but just want to be sure we know where we stand. Also, I have noticed comments regarding "cashback" when you switch supplier. I filled in the information on the Go compare website required and it brought up Scottish Power as most competitive supplier but I didn't spot anything mentioned about "cashback". Do you have to go on a different website to get this?

Last question, we have been paying £40 electric and £40 gas direct debits since we moved into our property in February. The latest bill states around a £30 debit on the gas, and I estimate (as we are still waiting for this one) £130 debit on the electric. If we switch suppliers, will they demand this payment upfront or can we continue to pay this via direct debit until the outstanding amount has been paid?

Hope someone can advise best option.

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sometimes the early exit fee does not apply to those customers who move address. Refer to the terms of the deal to see if that exclusion applies.

If you switch supplier, the old supplier will eventually give you a final bill and demand payment for anything showed as owing. If you currently pay by DD, they will often attempt collection of that amount owed as their final DD collection. You may be able to negotiate a repayment plan if the amount is large, but as you are no longer the customer of the old supplier, they may not agree.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a comment on todays email from MSE about £115 cash back from certain web sites with switching to Scottish Power. He says that it is only running until Thursday. I am just about to change and was going to use topcashback but have been looking and unable to find the site MSE may be talking about.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Sue
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pass,

Topcashback I've found to be pretty reliable (took a £120 scottish power CB a few months back that paid out fine -just don't forget to clear those browser cookies).

also
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/Help/76

....you always have this claim as backup but might struggle to prove it if its already been pulled (no experience of pulling TCB up on that gurantee before personally)
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Susan1942 wrote: »
    There is a comment on todays email from MSE about £115 cash back from certain web sites with switching to Scottish Power. He says that it is only running until Thursday. I am just about to change and was going to use topcashback but have been looking and unable to find the site MSE may be talking about.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Sue
    ...By phone: Call Energyhelpline on 0800 074 0745 and you get £50 per fuel (ie, £100 dual fuel) for Scottish Power, plus mention us and you get the usual £15 on top - so £115 in total....
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Susan1942
    Options
    Will have a look and thanks for the link. Not sure how to clear cookies.
    Thanks again

Sue
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2010 at 6:07PM
    Options
    Susan1942 wrote: »
    ... Not sure how to clear cookies.
    Thanks again

Sue
    You don't need to ... it's a phone number ;)

TCB only currently pay £105 maximum CB, a tenner less. They probably won't match the offer elsewhere as it is not an online offer (and the total includes a special bonus exclusively available to MSE readers)
  • Susan1942
    Options
    I've done it! Used energyhelpline which seems to give me £35 + £15 offer with SP and the £15 from EHL.

Just need to book my hotel now>

Thanks again

Sue
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi colin8

If you agree to a contract tariff with ScottishPower (which has a cancellation charge) you will NOT be charged if you move house.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure