PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting Fees - Do I need to pay for Building insurance?

Options
2»

Comments

• Meatballs
    Options
    What is your deposit for if not insurance for the landlords contents?

It is an unfair clause in a tenancy agreement to insist the tenant gets contents insurance.

You should definitely not be paying for buildings insurance.

Keep your own insurance policy, sign and cancel theirs if you want the place badly.

Read Office of fair trading - Unfair terms in tenancy agreements. Maybe even take it in to them if they need convincing.
  • Pott5y
    Pott5y Posts: 504 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently, Landlords own contents insurance cover (so I have been informed) does not cover for accidental damage by the tenant to things like carpets, washing machines or fridges etc. So yes they are insisting that I show them proof of this cover before they will hand me over the keys.

I have seen the OFT guidelines on this and it does not clarify the situation in this case (ie Tenants covering Landlords contents for accidental damage only). The letting agents are not trying to sell me the insurance they are just insisting I get covered by someone.

In my opinion this is what the deposit was for, but I now think that as deposits have to be placed under a deposit protection scheme it is now not so easy for the landlords to just withold deposits for damage etc so now they are looking for insurance protection from the tenant.
    adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit
    Add a little to a little and there will be a great heap
    ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business