When i moved into my new house

my gas meter read 2219
electric metere read 57451

i got the house on the 19th june this year

just got my n power meter read reminder and my meters are at

Gas 2251
Electric 57911

meaning i've used 32 units of gas and 460 units of electricity

the gas doesnt seem too bad as i only really use the heating to dry the washing when its been raining, hardly used the central heating at all and cooked a few dinners a week

but the electric??????? 460 units, is that good bad or normal? over 89 day's (if i counted correctly)

edit*******

big electricals used

Fridge frezer always on
washer dial switched to off, as plug is behind washer (washer used 2-3 times a week)
stereo switched off
microwave switched off.
cooker always on because it control the spark and plugged in, in a awkward place.
Burgler alarm fitted 3 week agom cannot switch off.
electric shower used 3/4 times a week at most.
all lights switched off in day, most are energy saving.
immersion heater never been used.
pc, switched off at plug when not used.

although router and modem, also connected to ps3 and tv. left on standby (tv cannot be switched off unless at mains and it screws my router up doing so)

Comments

• lizzyb1812
    Options
    Looks fine to me - quite low in fact.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because the gas is a low number then the electric should be too. They are measured in completely different ways. Over a year my gas units come to about 1/7 of my electricity units.

HTH

Lizzyb
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Your consunption is fine, envied by many in fact!
    The electric at 460kwh times 4 quarters is 1840kwh, add a bit because this is the summer, say 2000kwh which is much lower than the average which is about 3500kwh per year. Especially as you have an electric shower.
    I presume your gas meter is imperial and that you heat your water by gas. 32 units would then be about 1000kwh which could well be reasonable.
  • Phil_GT
    Phil_GT Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah my gas heats the water via a oldish

baxi bermuda 552 + gas fire.

i assumed something was wrong with the difference between the ammount of units of electric and ammount of units of gas
  • Phil_GT
    Options
    next question not sure if you'll be able to help though but i've been setup to pay

£50 gas
    £30 electric a month

do you think this will have covered my usage.

with N Power but dont know my tarrif im on
  • steveprice
    Options
    I'd say your usage is very low - congrat's. I'm guessing you're single!

I presently pay E.ON £104 per month for dual fuel. My usage last year was 6422 kWh electricity and 25401 kWh (not units) gas. On that basis I'd say you're well over-funding. I would recommend telephoning NPower, relaying your usage and amending the direct debit.

Check if NPower will give you a free (electricity) energy monitor. I recently requested and received one from E.ON (I'd recommend E.ON, BTW) and do find the info' interesting, even if the kids aren't supporting me in my usage-reduction efforts...

Steve
  • Phil_GT
    Options
    lol @ steveprice

no im not single, just i work shifts 6-2pm 2-10pm. and my girlfriend workse 9-5.
    so most of the time the house is empty, hence the burglar alarm lol

will post what my statement says when it arrives, ill jsut be happy if i dont owe them anything :D
  • seafarers_wife
    Options
    if you set up your account over the phone with npower when you moved in you will be on the standard tarriff. call them up tomorrow on 0800 551 555 and ask what tarriff you are on to confirm. if you are you could switch to an online tarriff which would work out cheaper for you than the standard price. i beleive sign on line 19 is one of the cheaper ones, but double check to make sure that there isnt a cheaper supplier out there.
  • steveprice
    Options
    "will post what my statement says when it arrives, ill jsut be happy if i dont owe them anything"
    ...or, you could call up NPower and, as I suspect, be able to immediately reduce your direct debit. Presuming that it's some time to your statement, you could, say, invest in a few Premium Bonds and possibly, just possibly, become a "millyonaire"! Remember me if you do... :)

Steve
  • notsayingaword
    Options
    Phil_GT wrote: »

i've used 32 units of gas and 460 units of electricity

We use around 120 units of electricity per week so we can easily use the same consumption in a month as you have used in 12 weeks, but we are a family of 4 who constantly use computers and games consoles. Our gas consumption though is quite low as the only gas item in the house is the combi boiler.
  • Phil_GT
    Options
    steveprice wrote: »
    "will post what my statement says when it arrives, ill jsut be happy if i dont owe them anything"
    ...or, you could call up NPower and, as I suspect, be able to immediately reduce your direct debit. Presuming that it's some time to your statement, you could, say, invest in a few Premium Bonds and possibly, just possibly, become a "millyonaire"! Remember me if you do... :)

Steve

my statement apparently is due on 21st this month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family