I want to change my npower tariff, can I do this via a comparison site?

Options
Hi guys,

I am currently on npower's Sign Online 15 Electricity only tariff. After checking on a few of the comparison sites, I think I could save a bit of cash by switching to their Sign Online 19 Electricity tariff.

Because I am an existing customer, does this mean I have to switch with npower direct, or can I do it via a comparison site so I can take advantage of their cashback/free wine (yum!) offers?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• davidgmmafan
    Options
    I don't beleive you will get any cashback or incentive from a company as an existing customer. You could leave and come back but that's a bit of a mess on so it depends how much cash or wine we're talking about to make it worth your while.

Regards to the tariff change you can do that through a comparison site or through NPower's website or even over the phone. Either way is fine, personally I'd do it through thier website or phoneline to avoid any crossed wires. It wouldn't hurt to take a meter reading for the tariff change but its not vital.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    There would be no incentive for npower to pay any cashback as you are an existing customer, so I doubt you would get any.
    Switch by contacting npower and the switch is done instantly, so you get the benefit of lower rates immediately.
    Switches via comparison sites normally take approximately 6 weeks.
  • sandford6016
    Options
    I've just done the same thing, BUT.......

I was on 'Go Fix' tariff and the comparison sites were saying it was cheaper to be on 'Sign Online 19' so I rang them to confirm it definately was cheaper and there was no penalty for getting out of my current tariff. The guy on the phone, although pleasant, could not help me in the slightest as "it is an online tariff and we have nothing to do with it!" The only way he could apparently view the details were to go on the same Npower website you and I go on! All switching can only be done online as it is an online tariff, so that's what I did in the end! It was pretty easy and instant.
    :T If you don't have anything sensible to say, don't say it! :T
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    Someone from NPower told you that? I could understand a comparison site not being sure but someone in the call centre can do a comparison, sounds like you spoke to a right lazy begger if you were speaking to NPower.

BTW if you go through a comparison site as an existing customer it may take a day or two for the supplier to recieve the info, not the six weeks quoted that 6-8 weeks is a maximum for changing supplier.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thorpette wrote: »
    ...Because I am an existing customer, does this mean I have to switch with npower direct, or can I do it via a comparison site so I can take advantage of their cashback/free wine (yum!) offers?

Thanks in advance

What does the comparison site say?
    If you are sure you input the correct info (especially the correct details of your current supplier/tariff) the comparison site will indicate whether or not switching via them is possible.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • thorpette
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    What does the comparison site say?
    If you are sure you input the correct info (especially the correct details of your current supplier/tariff) the comparison site will indicate whether or not switching via them is possible.

I was using uswitch, all my details were correct and it did have a link to click on to make the switch, I therefore pretty much assumed I could do it through them, I just thought I would come on here first and see if anyone had done it themselves or had any other advice they could offer.
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    One thing you have to look out for is the comparison will sometimes include the direct debit discount in the quote for the current tariff but not the old tariff. Why they do this I've no idea.
  • sandford6016
    Options
    Yep, someone from NPower told me that!!!!

Excellent customer service! Anyway, I've saved £85 by switching to a different tariff, shame they don't tell you about them when they must know it's cheaper than what you're paying!
    :T If you don't have anything sensible to say, don't say it! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport