Armed Forces Personnel - tell the MOD about its effect on your finances.

Options

Comments

• helsee
    helsee Posts: 119 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2010 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Si_M wrote: »
    How do you make the most of having a bad credit rating, by paying higher interest rates? or being unable to secure a good mortgage deal?

to be honest we havent found our credit rating affected, although that may be because credit was taken out before we lived in mqs, and we had a mortgage from pre forces days, when we wanted to improve the deal we were getting we just spoke to the bank, it didnt seem to present a problem.
  • mrsdarbs
    Options
    Perhaps the difference between people having had no problems with credit to those that have is when the financial products were taken out - ie pre or post forces life. My hubby banks with Halifax and got a credit card just fine and a loan and they keep offering more, but no other company will touch him for two reasons - existing debt that we want to move - ie swap from halifax cc to a 0% interst card, that they assume we won't pay or whatever, but we have also been told it's due to his address problems and not being on the electoral roll long enough etc.

I think it's easier to get products from companies you have a good history with as opposed to a new company who doesn't know you.
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2010 at 5:59PM
    Options
    I really struggle to understand people blaming the MOD for their bad credit rating. Your credit rating can be checked at any time, if you see something that is detrimental to your credit rating you can look to getting it taken off, as long as there is reasonable explantion and proof.

If you are moving overseas I cant see why credit rating would be affected ... you can keep a uk bank account and set up some sort of monthly movement on your account, to keep it going!

As for including financial training in basic, why oh why? The Army was not created to wipe the backsides of soldiers and their families who can't be arsed to use a teeny weeny bit of common sense. If being a soldier was affecting peoples finances significantly to no end, then they would quite simply leave. But something tells me that it probably isnt that bad, or more their fault.

Anyway, I do have gripes, which are listed below :D

Cost of movement to new posting not being covered by the MOD. If they require you in a new area then they should cover the full costs. Someone mentioned the journey from the house to the airport, which should be either arranged by the MOD or paid for. Also the mode of transport. If you are posted to Germany but want to take your car over then I believe the MOD should pay for that. A vehicle is a necessity these days.

Allowances for courses/exercises should be paid before hand, especially for things like hotels. I know you can get an advance, but that is a whole messy lengthy process. I used to work for a government department, if we had to go on an overnight course anyway, then we would tell a particular department the dates etc, and they would book and pay for the hotel with the company card. Given the amount of courses and exercises undertaken by MOD civis and mil, that would be a much better system to do things. Food and IE on the other hand ... that would have to be claimed afterwards!

I dont understand the reasoning behind disturbance allowance. The MODs stance on it is some moves you will be in pocket from DA, other moves you will be out of pocket. What sort of system has that sort of attitude? Some people may always make a profit out of their moves, some may make a significant loss on every move. The MODs attitude seems to be quite blase regarding it. I would much prefer only being given an allowance for the true disturbance. DA shouldnt really be for you to be able to buy prettier curtains or lampshades ... DA would be better used for someone who is getting charged for coming out of contracts early, or for someones having to buy smaller furniture because their next quarter is of a different size/layout (course within reason).

Sure I have more gripes, will have a think!

Oh and meant to add about the SFA charges. Yes SFA charges are cheaper than civi rents in most places. However, it doesnt allow people to save good money every month to allow you to buy a house. For a family of 4 on a Privates wage, it would be a real struggle to save money every month specifically for a mortgage. With the normal daily bills and deserved treats and odd holiday etc there won't be alot left over for a mortgage. It is not always possible for a dependant to get a job at a posting so the main income will always be the serving person. That is never taken into account.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zyonchaos wrote: »
    Pete, as for stepping into the real world. That argument is really starting to p155 me off now as that is everyones answer to something that is complained about in the forces. What makes the forces anything less of a real world than civilian life??

My main complaint is that being half way through a course at another camp, I was informed that from their I was supposed to go straight to London to do a Red Hat course. Where was I supposed to find the money for the accomodation as I didnt have a credit card. When I was told I could draw money from my unit, I pointed out to them that yes I could, but since I wasnt there and wouldnt be there before the course started that was a bit difficult. They were unwilling to use that same money to book the hotel from there, which makes no sense really does it, personally I think this would cut down on a lot of fraud, but thats my opinion. Anyway the last time I had an advance payment of 1K (money that was actually owed me) it messed my wages up for 3 months.

If the forces send me on a detachment, why should I have to pay for the food especially when it will leave me out of pocket? Why should it cost me to go on a course, which I apparently need for my job?? Why cant the MOD see that the majority of money is wasted by a lot of senior level managers that are not required any more and were never really needed in the first place???

If you can give me sensible and reasonable answers then I will listen, but if you are just going to throw the "need to live in the real world" or "you signed up, deal with it" cards, dont bother.

Yo can apply for an advance through JPA expenses.

Is it just me or is this just Pongo !!!!!ing, because they are to thick to do anything for themselves and need everything done for them?
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fergie76 wrote: »

Is it just me or is this just Pongo !!!!!ing, because they are to thick to do anything for themselves and need everything done for them?

Life is full of choices and it might just be as simple as which desk you sat at........when you joined up.

I was in HR last week when someone came in and complained that he was getting ballif letters from a previous occupier of his SFA.

Surely all you do is show your ID and they know they have the wrong bloke. Join the free trail of Experian and sort it out......but thats just the sensible (RAF) way!
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • EmDubs
    Options
    Our car insurance is extortionate all because of my Husbands occupation of HM Forces, he gets a bonus at the end of tours but that is clawed back by tax credits every year. Not only that for the job he does his salary is pittance so initially we're struggling!
  • Nicola_B_2
    Nicola_B_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 September 2010 at 8:25PM
    Options
    My elderly father lives with us in Germany and has been refused Pension Credit and Attendance Allowance (he has Alzheimer's) because he does not live in the UK.
    He was living with us in the UK before we were posted so of course he moved over with us.
    He has full dependant status and the benefits that go with it.
    I feel that he is being penalised for having a loving and supportive family who chose to look after him rather than leave him in a care home in the UK.
    The Service Personnel Command Paper "is designed to end any disadvantage that armed service imposes on our people, their families and veterans. It specifically seeks to counter the difficulties that follow from being required to move around the country or the world."
    The Army is prepared to look after us why can't the Department for Work and Pension do it too??
  • sandyfour
    Options
    Compulsory retirement at 55, 10 years before the state pension age is a financial penalty. My modest pension needs supplementing but I am not entitled to job seekers allowance for example - for 33 years I have contributed but now I cannot get any of it back!
  • Si_M
    Si_M Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fergie76 wrote: »

Is Yo, you

and I think you will find it should have read "too thick"

Sorry that this thick pongo had to correct you!
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    sandyfour wrote: »
    Compulsory retirement at 55, 10 years before the state pension age is a financial penalty. My modest pension needs supplementing but I am not entitled to job seekers allowance for example - for 33 years I have contributed but now I cannot get any of it back!

The Equality Act 2010 which comes into effect from 1.10.10 and specifically INCLUDES the Armed Forces makes it illegal to retire someone based on their age..... the last military instruction seen just mentioned that further information would be issued at a later date. It will be very interesting to see what happens when this becomes common knowledge

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/equality-act-guidance-for-workers/dismissal-redundancy-retirement-and-after-you-have-left-a-job/managing-retirement/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure