Was I mis-sold PPI by MBNA?

Options
Hi
If this is in the wrong place - I'm sorry!
here's my sistuation...............
have had a credit card with MBNA including PPI, for many many years. I knowingly took out the PPI, as I thought it would help if I was ill/lost my job/ etc
At the end of 2006 I missed a payment and was late paying two months - so was hit with late fees etc and this was due to me being off work with ill health. I called MBNA to explain, but they weren't very sympathetic, and suspended my card, telling me to call them 3 months later. After the 3 months i wrote to them and explained that I was still off work and claiming Incapacity benefit , and 'struggling', would the PPI cover me? only to be told no, so I obviously cancelled the PPI ( in writing stating my circumstances). I have subsequently paid off the card.
I had totally forgotten about this - despite the telephone calls I keep getting from various placing offering 'to help'. I keep thinking, this doesn't apply to me! I am wondering whether it's worth contacting them to see if I can claim, or am I wasting my time??
Thanks in advance

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    vwallis wrote: »
    Hi
    If this is in the wrong place - I'm sorry!
    here's my sistuation...............
    have had a credit card with MBNA including PPI, for many many years. I knowingly took out the PPI, as I thought it would help if I was ill/lost my job/ etc
    At the end of 2006 I missed a payment and was late paying two months - so was hit with late fees etc and this was due to me being off work with ill health. I called MBNA to explain, but they weren't very sympathetic, and suspended my card, telling me to call them 3 months later. After the 3 months i wrote to them and explained that I was still off work and claiming Incapacity benefit , and 'struggling', would the PPI cover me? only to be told no, so I obviously cancelled the PPI ( in writing stating my circumstances). I have subsequently paid off the card.
    I had totally forgotten about this - despite the telephone calls I keep getting from various placing offering 'to help'. I keep thinking, this doesn't apply to me! I am wondering whether it's worth contacting them to see if I can claim, or am I wasting my time??
    Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome, and your in the right place so no worries.

Obviously the policy was worthless to you, so maybe give it a go with your reasons.

If they didn't pay out and you were paying for this then I would be asking for a refund on all paid with interest as well.

All you do is complete the FOS questionnaire, (not to be confused with the FOS complaints form), this questionnaire is in replacement of the first template letter, complete and send to whoever sold and set up the policy, keep a copy as well - in case you need to refer to it at some point.
    They have 8 weeks in full to give a decision, sometimes they ask for more time and give a timescale of when you should expect to receive a decision.

The FOS questionnaire on added on the link shown below, further on down the page as stage one.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

You can write a letter in your own words if you want to instead of the questionnaire, or do both, but if you write a letter to reclaim, just ask they refund you all you paid to date of ppi plus interest.
    Give your reasons for the reclaiming, and ask they comply by 8 weeks.
    Then mention that if you don't receive a favourable decision you will then consider making a complaint to the FOS.

Hope this helps, good luck with this, please keep us informed.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • vwallis
    Options
    Many many thanks for such a positive response...... and so quick too. Think I'll fill in the form and write a letter tonight.
    thanks again - will keep you posted.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It probably wasnt mis-sold as you said you knowingly took it out. Miss-sale relates to the sale of the product. So, in that respect, all appears to be in order.

However, whether you had a valid claim or not and the administration of your issues could be a different matter.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure