We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Eon

Options
I hate our prepayment meter with eon and last time I posted about it (we were paying a fortune on it daily) eon looked into it and found out they had overcharged us by £500. So thanks to posting on here I recieved a cheque from Eon. My last statment then showed a credit balance of 52p.

Last week we recieved a statment and it shows we owe Eon £55 :mad: How can this be. we have a prepayment meter and pay for the electricity we use, so how can we get into debt with it.

We were going to change our supplier, as Eon will not change our prepayment meter. But now if we do this we will have to pay this amount to.

I am fuming with them. How can hey keep treating us like this.

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 September 2010 at 11:59AM
    Options
    I've tried to follow the history of your issues with E.on which you appear to have reported in numerous threads over the past 10 months.

10 months ago, you said you had almost repaid a £1k debt on the meter and thought you only still owed £90. Then for some reason you were informed you still owed £1k.

In February this year you reported you got £500 back from E.on. Not sure you fully explained why this was. Do you really fully understand why that was ?
    I think I would know if I had paid £590 more than I should have over the expensive winter period.

Now you say E.On claim you owe them £55.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

All very confusing to me too with the lack of detail disclosed.

Anyway, let me explain how PPM essentially work.
    The meter records your consumption. That consumption is used to calculate what you owe.
    The supplier also records the credit you purchase. Yes you do need to then put that credit onto the meter to allow you access to the supply, but it may not exactly cover the cost of that supply.
    The consumption cost is compared to the value of credit purchased, and any difference resulting is then accounted for.

However you don't seem very happy with the service your current supplier has given you, so why not vote with your feet. (Not sure any other supplier will do any better, but if you are not happy...) If you really do owe the £55, then you may have to pay this on switching, or it may be possible that the new supplier will add this small amount to the PPM and pay off the old supplier.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    "it may be possible that the new supplier will add this small amount to the PPM and pay off the old supplier."

This if often quoted as being possible but I've never heard of someone where this actually happened. I certainly wouldn't if I were the company.

Most suppliers are reluctant to change the meter from prepayment free of charge. In this case I can understand E'On's reluctance. If you change to another supplier you might still have to wait a year or so before they will change it, but hey that beats paying whatever the fee is.

As for the general question how can I be in debit on a prepayment meter it IS possible to build up a debit. It can be a build up of standing charge, or a price change which hasn't been updated via the key or meter. Can't see how either of these would apply in this case though as I presume you are living at the property and regularly topping up.

I suspect they have slightly mis-calculated the credit balance and refund but this is just a guess.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi woozle35

This is all a little confusing. It is true that a debt can arise if, for example the unit prices your meter hold to not correspond with the unit prices we hold. davidgmmafan also made a good point. Maybe the refund you had was a little too much, i.e. some of it should have gone towards your charges.

It’s difficult to say exactly what the problem is without knowing all of the details. I’d recommend giving our complaints line a call to get it cleared up once and for all.

Thanks

Brian
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • woozle35
    woozle35 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September 2010 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    I've tried to follow the history of your issues with E.on which you appear to have reported in numerous threads over the past 10 months.

10 months ago, you said you had almost repaid a £1k debt on the meter and thought you only still owed £90. Then for some reason you were informed you still owed £1k.

In February this year you reported you got £500 back from E.on. Not sure you fully explained why this was. Do you really fully understand why that was ?
    I think I would know if I had paid £590 more than I should have over the expensive winter period.

Now you say E.On claim you owe them £55.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

All very confusing to me too with the lack of detail disclosed.

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. This is what happenned.

We got into arrears with our account and we had to have a meter installed. When we recieved our statments it showed the debt reducing, eventually to £90. Then in 2009 I recieved a statment that showed 1k debt again. I posted on this forum and a lady called Helena from EON contacted me and said it did not seem right. She looked into our account and found out that our meter was set incorrectly and that we had infact paid our debt and that they owed us £500 ish. EON sent us a cheque for the full amount. The next statment they again sent us another cheque (i think for £70).

Since then my statments have shown a cr balance of pence amounts. Our bill dated 5th June 2010 showed a credit amount of 53p. Then this bill we have recieved shows a debit balance of £55.59.
    Is this clearer?
  • woozle35
    Options
    As for the general question how can I be in debit on a prepayment meter it IS possible to build up a debit. It can be a build up of standing charge, or a price change which hasn't been updated via the key or meter. Can't see how either of these would apply in this case though as I presume you are living at the property and regularly topping up.

I suspect they have slightly mis-calculated the credit balance and refund but this is just a guess.

This is why I was puzzled as I top up every week. Also we have recieved statments in between recieving credit from them, that shows us in credit of 53p, so how can I then accrue £55.59 debt.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 September 2010 at 11:46AM
    Options
    woozle35 wrote: »
    ...The next statment they again sent us another cheque (i think for £70)....
    Why? How did you accrue a £70 credit on a PPM in just a few months?

It sounds like your meter was still incorrectly calibrated in some way ... or it was just an error they made (which may explain why you are now in debt if it was an error and you didn't refund it)

Your statements should will have actual meter readings and hence consumption.
    You can work out yourself how much the electricity you have consumed should cost.
    The statements should also include details of credits you have purchased.

Any difference will be what you owe/are owed ... but beware of any slight delay in having credits posted to your account and/or any existing credit on the meter (i.e. electricity you have purchased but not yet used)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • woozle35
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Why? How did you accrue a £70 credit on a PPM in just a few months?

Apparently the 2nd credit of £70 was after the meter readings had been taken.

I am going to go and check my readings now.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nbala wrote: »
    I'm currently renting a flat, and have been here since mid-june.
    I'm with Heatwise-E.ON.

I have just had my quarterly bill sent to me today from 1st July to 28th September and it has cost me a whooping £98.00.

It says i have used 700kWh!! Atleast £60.00 worth of my bill has been used during daytime. The most weird thing is, im NEVER home during daytime. Im at work from 9am-5.30pm. I do not know what could possibly use up my electricity while im at home. At night time the electricity is used less, so it says on my bill.
    Could someone please help me, as i cant seem to get my head around this. I cant seem to think what is pulling my electricity so much during the day!?
    Are there particular times during the day where the electricity is cheaper? Is there a particular switch i should be turning off? I have storage heaters, but they don't come on (well they shouldn't do!)

Help!!!

Hiya,

See thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2745664

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport