MSE News: Barclays tops list of shame for worst complaints handling

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"A whopping 61% who took their gripe to the Ombudsman service about the bank won their case during the first half of 2010 ..."

Comments

• sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    I am not surprised that Barclays has been named and shamed.

I have made several complaints to Barclays, which they rejected for various dubious reasons.

I then escalated all of my complaints to the FOS. The FOS found in my favour with regards MEAF charges but found against me with regards a bank overdraft charge (due to the appalling decision of the Supreme Court last year). My other complaints are still being investigated by the FOS.

I have also had to pass one of my complaints to the Information Commissioner as Barclays did not provide me with info in an appropriate time frame and, when I did get the info (belatedly), it was incorrect.

With Barclays and all of the other banks, building societies, etc., my advise is always to escalate your complaint to the FOS if/when the bank rejects your compliant. Even if their argument seems plausible and legal, I would still advise you that it is worth escalating to the FOS for an independant assessment.

Please also remember that the FOS will automatically charge the bank £500 for each complaint that it receives; so even if the FOS do not find in your favour, the bank will still lose money !

I hope this helps.
  • saverjustice
    Options
    This is the tip of the iceberg, many people are afraid of complaining in case they lose their banking facility. They needn't be, I have assisted bank customers for more than two decades.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it time for an article about shopping around for PPI, what to look for, why it's a separate product to a mortgage, etc?
  • saverjustice
    Options
    sirmarcus wrote: »
    Please also remember that the FOS will automatically charge the bank £500 for each complaint that it receives; so even if the FOS do not find in your favour, the bank will still lose money !

I hope this helps.

Is this a form of blackmail? Should claimants be required to sign a statement of truth?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure