Electricity Overpayment

Options
Help please, I have just recieved my quaterly bill and it shows that I have an overpayment figure of £270! They want to reduce my DD by £20. Should I ask my supplier for a refund? or should I accept the reduction in my DD? :confused:

Comments

• Gal
    Gal Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    This may not be the case. Depends on your usage in the winter period. If your a very low summer user but a very high winter user the credit may be used to balance it out. I think that most people are dis-illusioned at this time, You will be in credit becuase its the principle basis of a DD scheme. You pay the same amount every month so that your credit from the summer spreads over the winter. otherwise it would be a very low DD in the summer but an extremely high DD in the winter.

At the end of the day its your decision my advice is to do one or the other not both.
  • steve_cov
    Options
    Compare your statement with the one from this time last year.

If the credit balance is significantly higher this year, ask for a refund. If not, accept the reduced DD.
    Mortgage at outset (May 2004): £80,000
    Mortgage now (October 2007): £58,000
    Original mortgage-free date: May 2024
    Expected mortgage-free date: December 2014
    Projected interest saving: £21,100
  • TODFAZER_2
    Options
    Cheers everyone, I'll check last years bill and see whats what!
    I think the question that I was asking was is the money better off in my pocket or theirs!:rolleyes:
  • djohn2002uk
    Options
    If I were you I would do nothing untill the winter is over. Your usage will be significantly higher over the next 6 months and you might find that the £270 will shrink by then. Gal is right in what she says. If you get it refunded and reduce your payments you could end up with a reverse situation come April with a big bill to pay.
  • tomstickland
    Options
    I've just received a new DD leter from British Gas after cancelling my old one when they !!!!ed me off one phone call too many.
    Last DD was £29, and I've worked out that £20 per month should cover me, maybe £22 at a push. The new DD was £40! So I'd end up overpaying them around £240 over a year.

They still haven't sorted the correct bill for me.

On the plus side, I've worked out that their website accepts a minimum meter reading increase of 2.6 units per day and I'm using around 3.3 so eventually I'll be able to input the correct readings (website says my correct readings are too low due to estimated start readings).
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport