What is the best way to shop at superstore?

Options
Hi all
I ve been married for 4 years and have a 14 month old son.
Whenever me and my wife go out for shopping we end buying whatever takes our fancy..As i put everything on the credit card I could see that we have been spending over £550/month just as ASDA and Tesco which I think is a bit high for 2 adults and a kid.
I then started noticing that we do a few mid week shopping that makes the spending soo high as we would nt be spending if we do not go to the superstores in the first place
Just wanted to get a view on how you spend or budget your shopping
How do you manage the mid week shopping?
ANy tips greatly appreciated

Comments

• Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shop online ,make a list and meal plan meal plan meal plan!! ;)

£550 per month !! what on earth are you buying? does a lot go to waste ??
  • skystar
    skystar Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    We are also a family of three and we spend about £120 a month (this includes packed lunches for all three as well).

My tips are:
    - plan your meals. You don't need to stick rigidly to it. I mean if I have spag bol down for a Tuesday and don't fancy it I may swap it for Thursdays meal.

- when you have planned the meals make a shopping list with everything (and I mean everything) you need to get you through the week.

- by doing the above this will cut down on midweek shops. I go food shopping on either a Thursday or a Friday and this is the only day I buy food.

Hope this helps
  • Biddyrolo
    Options
    The folk in OS will sort you out.
  • dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    Menu plan, make a list and only buy what is on the list, do not be tempted by stuff you like but don't need.

Don't browse aisles that you don't need to buy anything from they are laid out to tempt you.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly menu plan

Secondly, don't be taken in by any of the 'offers'. Just because it says 50% free, or buy one get one free it doesn't mean that there isn't an alternative that works out cheaper than the offer.

Thirdly, try to make meals from scratch and cut out all of those ready prepared things. Far cheaper to do it yourself.

Forthly.....if in doubt head over to the Old Style Forum where this sort of thing is talked about on a daily basis.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you go in for extra bits or just a few things NEVER take a trolley - carry a basket. When it's full then its tough. :D

I menu plan but find it hard not to put extra bits in. Found online shopping made it less likely to add extras as you're not walking past it all but just searching for the bits you need. But our local sainsburys is rubbish with their deliveries so thinking of trying Tesco next.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    If you are spending that much then I think there are a few issues to think about:
    - are you throwing alot of food away because it is gone off, or do you eat it all?
    - if you don't throw stuff away are your cupboards and freezer full of things you can eat
    - if you are eating it all then what sort of thing are you buying. £550 is ALOT of money. Is this just food, or also clothes, cds, toiletries, games, home stuff (you can buy almost everything at a big superstore these days). If it is mixed then try to identify what you actually spend on food.
    It is alot cheaper and healthier to make your own meals instead of buying ready prepared foods. This could be an easy way to cut your budget. If you don't know how to cook then learn! You'll be teaching your kid good habits as well as feeding them good wholesome food.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure