Next sofa delivery gone wrong

Options
Hi all,
I hope this is posted in the correct place!
I am looking for some advice on how best to proceed with a problem I have encountered with a sofa delivery from Next. I ordered 2x sofas at the end of July - these were meant to be delivered on 4th Sept but the delivery guys had trouble getting them in. I spoke to someone at the Next custmer service centre a couple of hours later (after finding someone who could take my window out) who said that the sofas needed to be booked back into the warehouse before an alternative delivery could be scheduled. This sounded simple enough especially since the lady said that I would hear from them within 72 hours and the sofas would be delivered around a week after that.

However, I heard nothing so phoned again to be told that the sofas are 'missing' and that they would put out a request for the warehouse staff to locate them. On saturday I got another phone call saying that they were looking but that 'in all honestly its unlikely that they would be found' and to top it all off - if they couldn't be found by Tues/Weds of this week I would have to re-order them and wait another 6 weeks! Needless to say I am fuming - I have nothing to sit on except for a couple of dining chairs and I have a big birthday coming up shortly. I can't invite anyone over as I have to ask them to sit on the floor! Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem and does anyone have any advice as to how to convince Next to pull their fingers out?

Thanks in advance for any help,
katie

Comments

• fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    The Ikea delivery guys took my front door off for me when I had the same problem. Not that that helps you. I think I'd have been tempted to take the sofas anyway, leave them on the pavement and get myself an emergency glazer. Not if raining though!

Have you tried calling again? See whether they can make a bit more effort to find them?
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • smileykate_2
    Options
    alas it was 8am on a Saturday morning with rain forecast so I couldn't keep the sofas on the street! :-(
    I've called them three times now and they have said they will look but weren't confident. They didn't sound very surprised at all, which is what prompted me to post on here in the hope that I could get some tips from a fellow Next sofa purchaser!
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    I'd keep pursuing the whereabouts of the original sofas. 'We're not confident' is a bit vague. How confident exactly? What are they going to do to try to find them? I'd want assurances that everything is being done, rather than just write them off as lost and let you go through the hassle of re-ordering. How can you lose two sofas, !!!!!!? They're enormous! :D
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • smileykate_2
    Options
    my thoughts exactly! I'm going to pester them every day until I get a firm answer.

I am wondering whether it would be worth trying to get a discount if the sofas have to be re-ordered - has anyone out there had success in this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure