PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

International Student- Renting in Southampton

Options
Hi there,

I have a friend from the Midde East going to Southampton Uni next week and he's looking to rent a private house. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about Guarantor Forms. Does he need someone in the UK to sign the Guarantor form or is there another option for him? I have called some letting agencies and they are very hazy about the options as it seems to depend on the landlords disgression (sigh?).

Also a quick question if anyone is in Southampton - is Bitterne Park (on the waterfront) within walking distance to S.Hampton University? Having never been but suggesting areas to him is so difficult!!

Cheers for any help :)

Comments

• tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look here:

http://www.soton.ac.uk/accommodation/privaterented/index.html

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/landlords/landlords_southampton.asp

Your friend may want to check out the Uni guidance before starting to look at accommodation

Some LLs may want rent up front,others may want a working UK guarantor.
  • patricia..xx
    Options
    Hi don't know the answer to the 1st question but can help with the 2nd. Bitterne Park is just about walkable to the university around 1.5/2 miles about 20-25 minutes - uphill all the way to uni, downhill all the way back. 10 minutes by bike, forever by car! I wouldn't want to walk every day as its just on the boundary of too far but cycling is fine.

Its not a studenty area particularly, Portswood is the main student area with post-grads tending to be in St Denys, which is the opposite side of the river to Bitterne Park. But its a nice place to live.
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Also a quick question if anyone is in Southampton - is Bitterne Park (on the waterfront) within walking distance to S.Hampton University?

It will be a little further than the University Halls of Residence in Wessex Lane. The students there walk the length of Burgess Road to the University.

When you say "on the waterfront" which road do you mean? Parts of Woodmill Lane, Forest Hills Drive, Manor Farm Road and Oaktree Road near where Woodmill Lane goes through Riverside Park to cross the Itchen on Woodmill Bridge might be OK - but it is not a student area at all if he/she wants to be near other students.

The rest of Bitterne Park - especially the area around Bitterne Park Triangle would be a bit too far to walk.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • patricia..xx
    Options

The rest of Bitterne Park - especially the area around Bitterne Park Triangle would be a bit too far to walk.

My timings and advice was based on from the triangle (near cobden bridge if you are looking at a map). I forgot about the rest of bitterne park!
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    Ah, another local....I hope you don't refer to "Bitterne Triangle" - a pet hate of Bitterne Parkers!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I think 25 mins-30 mins walk is maybe a bit much for him- I mean in the cold rain/snow it'd be a real drag!! I'll tell him to look at Portswood mainly then!

Thing is he has about a week to find a house and move in so I'm trying to book places for him to view (using the internet, calling up etc). I don't think he's too bothered about being in a studently area- his main "wants" are quiet streets and a nice, furnished warm house (he doesn't drink, and I think being on a rowdy student street would be awful for him!!).

Seems we figured out the best way around a guarantor form, and a possible way to get a bit of money off his rent- he's going to pay all of it up front instead of per month. The money has been set aside for this anyway!

Cheers all :)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just be aware that
    1) if a tenant pays the whole rent upfront and then the LL has his property repossessed for mortgage arrears, tenant may lost it all and
    2)some landlords are now wary of tenants paying upfront as this is what brothel and cannabis farm managers do.

A guarantor will need to be UK based, and will need to pass normal tenant-vetting checks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oohh wow I never thought of that!

Thanks for all the help, but he has managed to find a university-partnered landlord and everything is completely hassle free :D!
  • Dave_Simmons
    Options
    G_M wrote: »

A guarantor will need to be UK based, and will need to pass normal tenant-vetting checks.

Not correct! My son shared a place in London with a Spaniard & Nigerian, each of the parents stood Guarantor for their sons respective third payment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure