Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

family breakdown

I am very afraid that my daughter's marriage may be on the verge of breaking down. As one who has been through that, many years ago, I know how hard it can be, and want to support her as best I can.

Financially speaking it will be almost impossible for them to work out as they have committed themselves heavily with a house extension etc. and have two young children.

I can't help feeling a certain sense of fear that because I went through it, she feels she can/must.
Obviously I cannot go into all the details but I just have this real sinking feeling having been there myself, albeit in very different times and circumstances.

Replies

• tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Sorry that your family is going through this , been there and am in a similar situation to yourself.. but you need to keep out of it apart from supporting your them and letting them know you are there for them. They presumably will not do this lightly and if they feel this is the only way for them then its their decision to make.. be there for them all when it falls apart.. its going to get messy and taking a weight off by offering to have the children over so they can 'talk' would probably help them...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You have my sympathy, NR!

We never stop worrying about our kids, eh! DD is my permanent worry, reels from crisis to crisis.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Newly_retiredNewly_retired Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you for your replies, pollypenny and tanith. Yes, I have kept out of it so far but today DD rang and asked to talk. I said I had not wanted to get involved but she said she thought as I had been there, I would have some insights. So I have agreed to speak on the phone tomorrow night.
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Well thats not interfering its just supporting your daughter, but be wary of what advice you give as it could come back and bite you on the bum if they work things out eventually.. sounds like there is still hope for them good luck
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • lilac_ladylilac_lady Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Forumite
    No matter what age you are you always worry about your children. I sometimes think there should be an "off switch" relating to family as you get older.

I hope it's not too stressful for you. No point in advising you not to worry because you will.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your replies, pollypenny and tanith. Yes, I have kept out of it so far but today DD rang and asked to talk. I said I had not wanted to get involved but she said she thought as I had been there, I would have some insights. So I have agreed to speak on the phone tomorrow night.

I've always found the best support is from the person who says "What other ideas do you have about this..............what do you think might happen if you do that...............why are you dismissing x y or z.... tell me why that isn't possible............you need to ask a professional about that ............etc"
    Help her to develop her own insights; they will be more meaningful to her.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
    2.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Brilliant advice, thanks.
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You know, I am fumbling for that off switch! I am fed up with DS's shennanigins.

Hope things work out for your dd, NR.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pollypenny wrote: »
    You know, I am fumbling for that off switch! I am fed up with DS's shennanigins.

Hope things work out for your dd, NR.
    May I commend the SEP field, as in Someone Else's Problem?

First introduced to me by Douglas Adams in the memorable Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, it is a simple enough idea.

If something has an SEP field around it, it becomes invisible. Therefore, there IS nothing to worry about.

I'm not saying it's easy, but you can start simple and work up ... eg DS3 was going out and I asked what time he was starting work the next day, and he wanted me to check and text him. Sorry, SEP, not mine, your responsibility not mine.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
    2.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Yes, obviously there are limits, and some things are off limits.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals