PPI Claim from Barclaycard via Ombudsman

Options
londonwest
londonwest Posts: 17 Forumite
edited 7 September 2010 at 2:51PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Hello, Would be very grateful for any advice received re reclaiming PPI via the Ombudsman.

Have had my claim against B'card upheld and reached the point where the Ombudsman have sent me a letter setting out their 'typical approach' for calculating compensation.

Before I commit or sign their settlement form is there anything I should be aware of ie any pitfalls with their approach that mean the calculations favour the bank or any further questions I should be asking the FOS?

Just a bit of background to my case. I paid PPI on 3 barclaycards from approx 1999-2006 I have statements going back to 2001, so can use these for reference. In general, I would pay off the full balance every month.

Any information/advice gratefully received.

Comments

• maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    londonwest wrote: »
    Hello, Would be very grateful for any advice received re reclaiming PPI via the Ombudsman.

Have had my claim against B'card upheld and reached the point where the Ombudsman have sent me a letter setting out their 'typical approach' for calculating compensation.

Before I commit or sign their settlement form is there anything I should be aware of ie any pitfalls with their approach that mean the calculations favour the bank or any further questions I should be asking the FOS?

Just a bit of background to my case. I paid PPI on 3 barclaycards from approx 1999-2006 I have statements going back to 2001, so can use these for reference. In general, I would pay off the full balance every month.

Any information/advice gratefully received.

Hi There

Usually they sort it out to a set calculation so there should be no problem. What you could do is to set out calculations on here and I am sure somebody will be able to check it with you. If you are not happy with the calculations you can always take it back to your adjudicator.

Good Luck
    :mad:
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Generally, the FOS is the definitive arbiter of the claim. You are most unlikely to do better if you go litigation. If you accept the FOS settlement then it will be binding on the bank to settle the claim as ordered.

If you have any thought of rejecting the FOS offer then be prepared for considerable costs if you lose your claim in court.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • londonwest
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice. Hopefully they will settle fairly but if I have any problems will come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure