MSE News: Thousands of tax code blunder victims to discover fate today

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Around 5.7 million people have paid the wrong amount of tax through the PAYE system because of an HMRC computer blunder ..."
OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• skintmumof3
    Options
    hiya,
    maybe we can all post here what our personal outcomes were, did or didnt we get refunds etc......
    fingers crossed that we maybe the lucky ones that get a rebate.....
    skint
    xx
    ps my postie hasnt been yet today....
  • Rupert_Bear
    Options
    Financial experts are urging 1.4m Britons to stage an unprecedented revolt over plans to claw back up to £3.8bn in under-paid tax.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/tax/income/article.html?in_article_id=513885&in_page_id=77&ct=5#ixzz0ypjlv3Ro

unquote

Great advise when the government are talking about spending cuts. By all means refuse to pay but remember the senior citizen who may
    rely on benefits may be the loser. If you have enjoyed an overpayment then it should be paid back.
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    Frankly it staggers me... This is a good example of where penny pinching can go wrong. Heard a very good discussion on Radio Newcastle today where even the guys who work helping people with thier tax said the system was too complicated and, sadly, the revenue don't have the standard of staff that they need.

This is a basic thing to get right, and if they can't get that right its hard to believe the government can sort anything out (I know they inherited this mess).
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • happywarmgun
    Options
    The computer strikes again..... My wife had FOUR letters from HMRC on the mat yesterday morning. Now I am a bright chap and have a Masters degree in International Law but I have to admit I had to concentrate very, very hard to try and decipher what each was saying. Eventually I clocked that they were each for earlier tax years (why not one envelope and why not some prominent text to the effect 'Please Check the Tax Year in Small Print Above - this letter is computer generated and may not apply to the current tax year - I couldn't understand it at all till that penny dropped)? The upshot was that my Mrs has overpaid tax for each of the last three years (being a doctor she changes hospital and payroll every year so it seems her personal allowance was missed and deductions weren't built in for her professional subscriptions). Hopefully, this means a welcome windfall will be flying our way. I really do feel for people for whom it is the other way around though - the forms the taxman is sending out almost seem to have been designed specifically to frustrate the campaign for plain English.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    We would not be in such a mess if the HMRC did or were allowed to do their job properly. If the staff can't understand the over complex language and over complex system then they will be demotivated and perform poorly.
    http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/Assets/HMRC%20Capability%20Review%20web_tcm6-35127.pdf
    J_B.
  • Laneyboo
    Options
    Does anybody know how overpayments will be repaid? i.e cheque or through the bank or employer?

my partners firm has failed to update his new address for the past 6 months and all payslips still say our old address.. would hate to think of an overpayment/underpayment notice sat on someone elses doormat whilst we are sat oblivious!
    I LOVE MSE! :money:
  • littlemissbossy
    Options
    Laneyboo wrote: »
    Does anybody know how overpayments will be repaid? i.e cheque or through the bank or employer?

my partners firm has failed to update his new address for the past 6 months and all payslips still say our old address.. would hate to think of an overpayment/underpayment notice sat on someone elses doormat whilst we are sat oblivious!

I think overpayments are being paid via adjusting tax codes.

You should always update HMRC yourself about changes of details rather than relying on your employer.

HTH
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They would almost undoubtedly be paid by an alteration in this year's / next year's tax code and sorted that way.

That said, if HMRC don't have your correct details, you need to call them and let them know. It's not your employer's responsibility - even if they haven't updated your payslip details, you should still inform HMRC of your correct one.

KiKi
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • MSE_Jenny
    MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks

A few newspapers have been in touch about
    of the HMRC's letters informing people they have been paying tax at the wrong levels.

They would like to interview someone who has received one of the letters. If you are interested or would like to find out more, please private message me, MSE Jenny, including your name, telephone and location.

Thanks very much
  • nokia1100
    Options
    hiya,
    maybe we can all post here what our personal outcomes were, did or didnt we get refunds etc......
    fingers crossed that we maybe the lucky ones that get a rebate.....
    skint
    xx
    ps my postie hasnt been yet today....

They owe me around £70 from last year. I filled out an R40 form and they sent a cheque for £250 with an incorrect calculation. I replied saying thank you very much, pointed out the error and requested the extra.
    I wouldn't trust HMRC with anything. Use the Martin's guides on personal allowances, etc, then learn how to use Excel. Beats their £398m computer any day!
    --Savings: £284k and counting...26/09/14 the day I reached six figures, doubled on 24/07/20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure