Newbie Gas & Elec Query

Options
Hi

Please be gentle as I know little about this! I have seen and read lots of articles and sites about switching your utilities but what if you are not switching but starting completely new? I am moving from my parents into a flat soon and don't know where to start. Would I check which the seller is using and then switch?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but we all have to start somewhere! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Start with the current utility companies and try to get from the last owner details of annual consumption in kWh. If he/she hasn't got them phone the company and ask.

You then have some data to start making comparisons.

If your flat is small and you are working(out a lot) don't expect huge savings from switching. Also switching to the correct company involves an element of luck. You can calculate who is best at present, but only guess on timing and scale of future price rises(or cuts - but don't bank on that!)
  • Hourglass
    Options
    Thanks Cardew

I knew it would be something simple! I have noticed on another forum that someone has given the m-pass numbers to find these details out and my leccy company is Powergen Norweb and I do not have a gas supplier as yet so will have to set that up. Is it the same with the phone and internet companies or will I have to set those up from the scratch?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure