In a bit of a mess - big bill gone to warrant

Options
saubryn
saubryn Posts: 610 Forumite
Hi all

I usually hang out on the DFW board, and as you can see from my sig, I owe NPower around 600 pounds. This has built up over a long time where I got a massive bill due to a long period of estimated readings (yes, I rang them for them to come get a reading (I live in a block of flats with a central meter place I can't access myself), and I expected a larger bill, but not as big as the one that they found when they did take it!)

I've been paying NPower what I can, but since until now I've been on benefits, it hasn't been enough (they wanted 40 quid a week!). I recently signed off, but I'm still not earning much, and I can't afford to pay 600 before November, which is what they now want.

I was going to go on Fuel Direct, but since I've signed off, can I do that? Its supposed to be a scheme for people on benefits - does Working Tax Credit count as a benefit?

If not, I guess I'll have to get a prepayment meter. Is there anywhere I could work out how much I would be paying back on the debt when I'm on a meter each week?

If I did get a meter, could I switch while I had a debt? I am happy to pay the debt back, but NPowers prices are getting stupidly high now and I'd rather not have to stay with them for too much longer!

If anyone can offer any advice it would be much appreciated.
DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
Status as of 30/11/12
[strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]

Comments

• bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi, we owe Npower a lot of money too, more than you :eek: and its taken me since april to get them to agree to spread the cost over 2 years. We were having similar problems to you, the meter was being read but we were recieving estimated bills, turned out Meterplus didnt have the right serial number for the meter, so readings werent being passed on, I kept telling Npower this but they wouldnt have it. Anyway, after making numerous calls and sending letters, I even contacted Energywatch but they didnt help me as much as I thought they should, I finally sent a letter off to the address they give on the website for customer complaints. I explained that although I realise I owe this money, I felt that since there was fault on both sides, I should have been more insistent that they give me meter read bills instead of estimates, and the fact that I've been a customer of theres for 12 years, they should realise that the debt will be paid eventually, and give me more time. I rang them on friday and they've agreed to spread the amount over 2 years instead of 1. Dont agree to have a pre-payment meter straight away, go on the Npower website for details of customer complaints,and write them a letter first. Good luck
    Sue
  • bulchy
    First Post
    Options
    Head of customer services
    Npower
    Eighth avenue
    Team Valley
    Gateshead
    NE11 OSX
    This is who I wrote to.
  • saubryn
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I would feel a bit funny complaining since I have had some payment arrangements already that I accepted over the phone - I shouldn't have, to be honest - the first one I honestly thought I could pay because I was expecting some money coming in, but it didn't happen, and I defaulted. The other arrangements I plain couldn't pay because I was on benefit. Surely I'm in the wrong then for agreeing to them?

I'll try contacting them one last time though to see if theres anything at all they can do.

I take it fuel direct isn't an option though?
    DFW Nerd No. 140 :)
    Status as of 30/11/12
    [strike]Rent 2500 Council Tax 800 NlPower - 800[/strike][SIZE=-2]:j IF - 8000 :(British Gas - [strike]112[/strike] - 102 Lloyds - 1123
    Barclays - 306 Barclaycard 1,123 HSBC - 200 Capital 1- 400 Barclayloan - 4500[/SIZE]
  • bulchy
    First Post
    Options
    Not sure on Fuel direct, but I would definitely try writing to them, maybe you could do it through Energywatch, this way Npower have to reply to you within 10 days of recieving your complaint, it wont be sorted within the 10 days, but at least it will get the ball rolling.
    Sue
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not your fault if you are hoping (or expecting) that you can afford to pay, and you then can't. Contact them and ask for a payment arrangement. Explain you are on benefits. They may even send you out forms to fill in your income and expenditure to assess how much you can afford to pay. That is the correct address given above by the way.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what fuel direct is? And I don't think tax credits do count as a benefit. I would try and avoid a pre-payment meter though, as they tend to work out more expensive. You'll have to work at paying your debt back though
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • djohn2002uk
    Options
    Don't forget that now they have to give you the same length of time to pay off the arrears as it took to build up.
    If they have been estimating your usage for 2yrs and that is why you have the debt then they have to give you 2yrs to pay it off.
    To me that would work out at about £25/month over 2yrs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure