We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

French Beans Success

Options
I have been amazed atthe amount of French Beans I have had off relatively few plants and I'm still regularly cropping. Do these need cooked before freezing them or can they be put in the freezer once they are picked?

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,221 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    I've got some to freeze too. You don't need to cook them but they need blanching first, so if you know how to do this, ignore me, if not, bring a pan of water to the boil, drop the top & tailed beans into it, turn the heat down & just give them about a minute or so. Drain & immediately put them in cold water. Pack into freezer bags & they'll be fine. Sometimes you can be eating last year's while getting ready to sow next year's.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Orange_King
    Options
    Thats great - thanks. I have more to pick and fancy keeping some for later in the year. :)
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    I don't even blanch them...just wash 'em, chop 'em and chuck 'em in the freezer (in bags!!!). They're just as good as fresh when cooked from frozen.
  • izzwizz_2
    Options
    I do the same as lisa26.
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    me too! Never bother blanching them....
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Orange_King
    Options
    That sounds even better - thanks all.
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First year for me and I love how many they have produced. Will do some more next year.
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • xrjtg
    xrjtg Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    I've tried to blanch runners before and they've come out of the freezer a bit grey and not all that appealing. I'll try straight to the freezer if I ever get another glut.
  • troubrs
    troubrs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I read in a Good Housekeeping Magazine that they's done a trial blanching & not blanching & the not blanched ones came out better, so I'm going to try that this year.
    Really pleased with my climbing runner beans this year, Cobra variety, huge crop!
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    troubrs wrote: »
    I read in a Good Housekeeping Magazine that they's done a trial blanching & not blanching & the not blanched ones came out better, so I'm going to try that this year.
    Really pleased with my climbing runner beans this year, Cobra variety, huge crop!
    That's very interesting, unfortunately I have never been organized enough to label bags of blanched and not blanched beans, but haven't really noticed the difference.
    I mainly stopped blanching because it was so much extra work, although I did do a couple of bags early in the year because I wanted to test them.... but I never got round to labelling them and now they are all mixed up :D

Cobra is a french bean btw :)
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport