Help, direct debit going up from 141.00 per month to 176.00

Options
Hi folks, I seriously need help. I have a 4 bedroomed house and currently pay Scottish Power £141.00 per month Direct Debit for both my gas and electricity. They have written to advise that my direct debit is going to go up to £176.00 for the next 6 months. There is no way I can afford that but I don't know where to start looking about for cheaper suppliers. How do I work out my usage for both my gas and electric? :eek:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You look at your bills for the last 4 quarters to get the consumption in kWH.

If you haven't got your bills call Scottish power and ask for your annual consumption.

£141/£176 is pretty high, I suspect some of that is paying back a debit balance you have built up. Especially if it is increased for 6 months.

You are not going to save huge sums by changing suppliers unless you cut down consumption.

Don't ring another company and say I am paying £176 or they will just say we can do it much cheaper, and you will build up a debt with them.

You can't change suppliers until you have cleared your debt anyway.
  • beeniemac
    Options
    In my opinion you should be looking at methods of cutting down usage, rather than changing supplier. That is a large figure for a 4 bedroom house imo.

Do you use conventional or energy saving bulbs, for example?

LBM
    September 2006

Yorkshire loan: £4164 >>> £0
    Amazon CC: £320 >>> £1700 (oops)
    HSBC OD: £1300 >>> £200

Total £5784 >>> £1900 21/05/2006

• nej
    nej Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    Options
    British Gas just jumped mine from £55 to £85. I called them and they were happy to put it down again though.

I have an outstanding balance on the electric, but am in cerdit on the gas and they said I could use one against the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure